VideoHelp Forum

Poll: What browser are you using?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, that also. Non web based e-mail...................
    Why are ones and zeros so complicated? Linear Video Editing was easier. Downloading & streaming are two different things.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Firefox.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried Firefox for awhile but it was a pain in the A$$ switching from one browser to another (like mentioned earlier, most sites are made for IE and won't work correctly on Firefox) so I got rid of it and only use IE6. If you know how to set up IE, it is just as secure if not more than Firefox. I have zero problems running Internet Explorer. My only complaint is having to use Sun Java instead of the old MS java in IE 5.5 which is no longer supported.
    I'd like to check out Internet Explorer 7 but MS won't let me run it on Windows 2000.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by DarrellS
    If you know how to set up IE, it is just as secure if not more than Firefox.
    Why was the department of homeland security suggesting people dump internet exploder and switch to firefox or opera if internet exploder is so much more "secure"?

There have been more security holes in internet exploder than in firefox, so your assumption is false.

Originally Posted by DarrellS
    but it was a pain in the A$$ switching from one browser to another
    Right clicking a site is a pain....

I do not see right clicking as a pain.

most sites are made for IE and won't work correctly on Firefox.
    This is becoming less true. Firefox is increasing it's market share. It does not make sense to construct sites for only one browser. You would be limiting your possible audience.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    (like mentioned earlier, most sites are made for IE and won't work correctly on Firefox)
    If you use the UserAgent tricks to make those sites believe FF is IE, that can work. There's also the IEView (pass certain pages to IE, or automatically have those pages open in IE) extension, or IETab extension (as mentioned above, which will let you actually embed the IE engine in a Firefox tab). However, I'm one of those people who rarely encounter an IE-only page... I'm too paranoid to bank online. (runs away )
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videobruce
    Why have two programs when one works?
    Because there's still to bee seen one program to handle 2 different tasks better than one dedicated app for each task.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Firefox... I like the tabs and the various extensions and themes available. :thumbsup:
    Frank Zappa: "People wouldn't know a good movie if it smacked 'em in the face."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    (like mentioned earlier, most sites are made for IE and won't work correctly on Firefox)
    The only sites I'm aware of that don't like non-IE browsers are sites that try to hack your system via drive-by installs or web sploits. And, even then, that's only been a few.

Legitimate websites won't exclude non-IE users (in other words, potential customers). If they do, then there's a reason why - they're probably up to no good.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by CrayonEater
    The only sites I'm aware of that don't like non-IE browsers are sites that try to hack your system via drive-by installs or web sploits. And, even then, that's only been a few.

Legitimate websites won't exclude non-IE users (in other words, potential customers). If they do, then there's a reason why - they're probably up to no good.
    There's a number of sites developed in Microsoft Word (by people who don't know any better) and then saved as HTML which play havoc in browsers other than IE. A lot of these are mom and pop businesses with completely legitimate intentions.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There have been more security holes in internet exploder than in firefox, so your assumption is false.
    And how much longer has IE been out than Firefox? You do admit that Firefox does have security holes, though?
    Like I said, I have no problems using IE. Check your temp int files and see what kind of crap is getting inside with your false sense of security.
    Now that Firefox is getting so popular, they are as big a target for hackers as anyone else.

Right clicking a site is a pain
    What are you talking about? I open my browser from my quick launch bar.

This is becoming less true. Firefox is increasing it's market share. It does not make sense to construct sites for only one browser. You would be limiting your possible audience.
    Maybe so but some of the pages that I use regularly don't work correctly with Firefox. That's one of the reasons I dropped it. I argued for two days with a guy about the content on a football stats page and when the guy told me he was using IE, I checked it out and sure nuff, the info in the IE browser was alot newer than the old info I was seeing in the Firefox browser. Same website address, different content.

As for the tabs and all the different add-ons in Firefox, I didn't like any of it. I like a browser that works just the way it is without having to add a bunch of stuff to it and I like the small size of my IE toolbar without all the extra clutter. I would rather have 20 IE pages minimized in my Windows toolbar than a bunch of tabs taking up valuable space on my screen.

That's just my preference. Everyone else can use Firefox if they want.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by DarrellS
    And how much longer has IE been out than Firefox? You do admit that Firefox does have security holes, though?

No browser is foolproof, but firefox is more secure because the holes get fixed faster. Firefox also does not use Active X components.

If you have the ieview extension installed, you can right-click the site and view it in IE. This is handy for IE only sites.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are advantages on both sides. I like like stock updates, but through the company I'm invested in I cannot view them on FF. Must use IE. Does that mean the company is less secure, most likely not if it's a financial company. You're basically getting into a debate to the likes of Intel vs AMD, Apple vs PC, etc. It's not that at all. Granted IE is out there more and has more accepted programs, there are advantages to using FF. Even if all the programs went to FF, there are still advantages in IE. I know people who use the Netscape browser for various advantages. Should it be streamlined? There's both a yes and no answer to it. YES, there should be a streamline for people to access general information. No because depending on the company or business you are, you want to cater to the clientel that visit your site.

In the end, I feel that there needs to be a basic line across the board so the average surfer can view general content depending on the browser they use. I will say companies that are technology or software based often migrate to FF. It may fall into a scenario that depending on what you are looking for online will determine what browser you should use. You can always have multiple browsers too. I have IE running for my stocks, but use FF to browse. I have Netscape too, just as a back up in case something happens to the others.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you know how to set up IE, it is just as secure if not more than Firefox.
    LMAO! You're not serious are you? I hope you are just kidding. Even with Active Scripting disabled, it's had quite a few security flaws. And those took a long time to fix e.g. URL spoofing, if they ever were fixed at all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    jimmalenko wrote-
    There's a number of sites developed in Microsoft Word (by people who don't know any better) and then saved as HTML which play havoc in browsers other than IE. A lot of these are mom and pop businesses with completely legitimate intention
    I have never encountered one of these, nor do I know offhand of anybody who has. No doubt you're right that such sites are around, but, if so, they are probably outnumbered by IE-only sites with less-than-honorable intentions.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    K-Meleon - it's small and the fastest browser I have used. I got firefox and IE on there just in case but over 95% of the time I use K-Meleon.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's a comparison of the new Firefox 2, IE 7 and Opera 9 browsers.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1990850,00.asp

Nobody is going to change diehard Firefox users minds that their browser is far superior to everyone elses but IE users who switched to Firefox for security reasons might want to consider going back to IE with the release of IE 7 and seeing what all that Opera 9 has to offer, it's surprising that this browser is not more popular.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Avant
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think you browsed to the wrong forum with it though. :P
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I go back and forth between firefox and Internet Explorer.
    Quote Quote