VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. after splitting and trimming a clip in premiere cs3 timeline, I ended up with alot of clips, but in edit points without triming, audio transition and video transitions aren't working. The only solution that I know of is to trim at least the number of frames that these transitions occupy, but is there a short and efficient way to trim at many edit points by a given number of frames ? There is Trim Monitor wich makes the trimming process this much more precise, but it trims just the video, leaving audio untouched...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not familiar with Premiere cs3, only Premiere 6.5, but does your version allow A/B editing? Where you put each clip on alternating tracks overlapped by the length of the dissolve you want between them, and then place a dissolve effect between them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Khaver View Post
    ... does your version allow A/B editing?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	transitions.PNG
Views:	23784
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	4986

Here I can move the placement of the transition visually, but how can I overlap two clips by the exact duration of a transition ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In Premiere 6.5 you overlap the 2 clips on the timeline by the approximate amount (using the tick marks on the timeline), then when you add the dissolve between them the dissolve automatically sizes itself to the overlap.

Also, you should be able to drag the clip and it should snap to the end or beginning of the dissolve.
    Quote Quote  
  5. the only way I got both constant power and cross dissolve to work was by track overlapping; sometimes I have to add a dissolve to track 1 so that track 2 could snap to the beginning of the dissolve, then delete that dissolve from end of track 1 and add it to the beginning of track 2
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wow, that Premiere is tough! Just to do a simple crossfade? You gotta be kidding?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Wow, that Premiere is tough! Just to do a simple crossfade? You gotta be kidding?
    do you know a better, simpler way, without trimming clips that you don't want to trim ? in premiere or your preferred editor

this is the first time I'm editing and it seems too difficult because all the clips in the timeline have to be trimmed in order for transitions like constant power and cross dissolve to work, but many clips don't need trimming, and when the clips are trimmed, the "constant power" transition reveals a few unwanted and trimmed miliseconds of audio.
    Last edited by codemaster; 6th Jan 2011 at 21:26.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In Vegas, you trim the clips right on the timeline and then slide them to overlap and you're done. A little flag pops up during the crossfade to show the time. There are no dialog boxes to go through.

The purpose of the trimmer is to make subclips, or multiple clips from the same single clip more efficiently instead of duplicating that clip on the timeline.

In Vegas, to make frame accurate cuts, you need to drill down to single frames, maybe the same in Premiere. Try drilling down and see where the audio is at before cutting. Set the playback cursor where the cut is going to be and use your mouse wheel to zoom down.

If you can't make the cut you want without a piece of the audio in the way, then fade that audio in using a quick fade. That will blend it out.
    Last edited by budwzr; 6th Jan 2011 at 21:43.
    Quote Quote  
  9. after splitting and trimming a clip in premiere cs3 timeline, I ended up with alot of clips, but in edit points without triming, audio transition and video transitions aren't working.
    I don't understand your problem - what isn't working ? Can you be more descriptive ?

On the same track, when you have non trimmed edit points, you don't have extra footage so frames will be repeated to fill in the transition duration - is this what you're referring to ?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, Poisondeathray; it's good to know I'm not the only one who cannot understand what the OP's problem is. In terms of workflow (and you can customize Premiere's workspace), there's not a whole lot of difference between Premiere and Vegas in the way things are done.

Codemaster: take the time to go through some tutorials on Premiere. Once you get the concept down, it won't be so baffling.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can Premiere CS3 be set up at the start to do A/B editing, so you're not putting clips end to end on one track but alternating clips on the A & B tracks? That's how Premiere 6.5 can be set up. You lay your first untrimmed clip on track A then you lay your next untrimmed clip on track B but with an overlap the length of the dissolve you want. You then go to the transition effects and drag a dissolve into the space between the overlaps. Voila, a cross dissolve on your untrimmed clips. You then continue this alternating if you want dissolves or for a straight cut you can lay the clips end to end until you want another dissolve.

I would think CS3 should let you set up your editing like this.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Khaver View Post
    Can Premiere CS3 be set up at the start to do A/B editing, so you're not putting clips end to end on one track but alternating clips on the A & B tracks? That's how Premiere 6.5 can be set up.
    Premiere Pro dispensed with that workspace option, but as can be seen in the OP's screenshot, you can still get an A/B roll view of the transition in the Effects control panel.

Clips need to be on the same track in the timeline, and the effect should occur at the overlap point between clips. Alternatively, you can place a transition between clips on different tracks by overlapping the head of the second clip over the tail of the first.

I do wish the newer versions of Premiere had kept that A/B workspace option, as it tends to flow with the style of those who once edited movie film. For some reason, however, they became of the mindset that this wasn't the "pro" way to do it. I always thought it was more efficient to have A & B subtracks to a video track, but hey--what's my opinion worth.

I repeat my advice to the OP to look into some Premiere tutorials.

EDIT: Aha! I noticed something from the OP's screen shot. Poorly placed transition! The transition should be between the tail of one clip and the head of the next. (Or am I just not seeing a file name for the next clip?)
    Last edited by filmboss80; 7th Jan 2011 at 11:39.
    Quote Quote