VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    I need help with what algorithm is best to upscale/doubling and encode a video with it. Xmedia has lanczos which is good, but I have heard that NNEDI3 is really good and others like that. I would just like some software that had more upscaling or doubling options and would do a good job exporting it without losing quality. MadVR is fantastic, but you can't encode video files with the specific upscaling/doubling algorithm. It doesn't have to be NNEDI3, but just what is best for upscaling/doubling videos. I mostly just want to upscale a few videos from 480p to 720p, but I want it to look as best as possible.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Nnedi3 for AviSynth is very good. A sample of nnedi3_rpow2 + aWarpSharp + Sharpen (and noise reduction):

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/387998-Ripping-a-DVD-in-order-to-deinterlace-decom...im#post2511590

Waifu2x is better for anime but the AviSynth implementation is horrendously slow.

Generally, if you want a sharp upscale (with little aliasing) you need to start with a sharp source. So it often pays to downscale and sharpen a fuzzy video before upscaling.
    Last edited by jagabo; 19th Aug 2019 at 18:58.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yeah I know about Avisynth, but I don't know how to use it at all. Is there tutorial for it or is there some software that has nnedi3, but is also simple to use? Like I don't even know how to open Avisynth on my pc. Am I suppose to have another program for it?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi. Some time ago I found such a script on the network, and I used it many times, but it is very slow. It is best to leave for the weekend and go fishing. If my memory does not disappoint, I give the link below to read.
    http://hbbthinktank.blogspot.com/2011/11/upscaling-video.html

SetMemoryMax(1024)
    LoadPlugin("c:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins\MT.dll")
    LoadPlugin("c:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins\Checkmate.dll")
    LoadPlugin("c:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins\De.dll")
    LoadPlugin("c:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins\Nnedi3.dll")
    LoadPlugin("c:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins\VagueDenoiser.dll")
    LoadPlugin("c:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins\Warpsharp.dll")
    SetMTmode(5,4)

AviSource("E:\Carlito_Way.avi")
    SetMTmode(2)

# KillAudio

Checkmate()
    DeDot()

nnedi3_rpow2 (rfactor=4, nsize=3, nns=4, qual=2, etype=1, pscrn=4, threads=0, opt=0, fapprox=0)

VagueDenoiser (threshold=2, method=1, nsteps=6, chromaT=3.0)
    WarpSharp (depth=300, blur=100, bump=128)
    VagueDenoiser (threshold=2, method=1, nsteps=6, chromaT=3.0)

Spline64Resize(716,572)
    AddBorders(2,2,2,2)
    Sharpen(0.27)

AssumeFPS(25,1,true)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by SomeoneNeutral View Post
    Yeah I know about Avisynth, but I don't know how to use it at all. Is there tutorial for it
    Start here:

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Main_Page
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/First_script
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Getting_started

Originally Posted by SomeoneNeutral View Post
    or is there some software that has nnedi3, but is also simple to use?
    I'm not real familiar with the program but StaxRip comes with AviSynth and lots of third party filters, including nnedi3.

Originally Posted by SomeoneNeutral View Post
    Like I don't even know how to open Avisynth on my pc. Am I suppose to have another program for it?
    AviSynth has no user interface. You create plain text scripts with a program like NotePad, then load those scripts into an editor/encoder like VirtualDub2 to view the results. Or you can use Avspmod which holds your hand a bit building scripts and has a built in viewer.

I create scripts with NotePad, view the results with VirtualDub2 (File -> Open Video File), then encode the script using the x264 CLI encoder.

There is no single script that's best for all sources.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm having difficulty with Avisynth even after you sent me those tutorials. I have read them through, but I guess it's a little to complicated for me at least, but I'm going to keep trying.

Staxrip with Avisynth works fine tho. I just don't know how to get NNEDI3 on it. It says it is already on it, but I don't know how to use it in upscaling
    Last edited by SomeoneNeutral; 20th Aug 2019 at 10:46.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The filter menu can be customized via filter profiles, it uses a custom ini format.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INI_file

[Resize]
    nnedi3_rpow2 = nnedi3_rpow2(rfactor=2)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  9. And in case you don't actually want to double both the width and height, you can specify the final dimensions as well as the resizer used:

nnedi3_rpow2(rfactor=2,cshift="lanczosresize",fwid th=720,fheight=480)

stax76 showed how to do it for the INI file. The line I showed is for editing the script StaxRip creates for you. Adjust both the resizer and the final resolution if wanted.
    Last edited by manono; 20th Aug 2019 at 16:48. Reason: Fixed the name of the program.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    And in case you don't actually want to double both the width and height, you can specify the final dimensions as well as the resizer used:

nnedi3_rpow2(rfactor=2,cshift="lanczosresize",fwid th=720,fheight=480)

stax76 showed how to do it for the INI file. The line I showed is for editing the script Stax76 creates for you. Adjust both the resizer and the final resolution if wanted.
    in staxrip it's best to use macros:

Code:
    nnedi3_rpow2(rfactor=2,cshift="lanczosresize",fwidth=%target_width%,fheight=%target_height%)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Stax76 Why is you're code better then manono?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Although I've used nnedi3_rpow2 quite a lot within my own AviSynth scripts (mainly upscaling VCDs to DVDs), I've never used StaxRip. You should listen to him about how best to use his program.

Also, I noticed that the line I used said fwid th=720. If you actually do a cut-and-paste, there's no gap between letters and it should be written as fwidth=720
    Last edited by manono; 20th Aug 2019 at 20:21.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It uses macros, the syntax and concept is the same as windows environment variables. Whenever a script or command line is executed, macros are resolved with actual values defined in the GUI, it allows you to use filter profiles and the resize slider whenever you want.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Can I denoise and upscale and then export the same file? Or do I need to denoise, export and then upscale that file and export it? Same thing with deinerlacing

Does it make a difference. Can I just do it all in one sitting.
    Quote Quote  
  16. You can denoise and upscale in the same script.
    Quote Quote  
  17. THanks
    Last edited by SomeoneNeutral; 23rd Aug 2019 at 09:09.
    Quote Quote