VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TLDR:
    1 - With the current desktop CPU power, do I really need to care with dropped frames and out of sync audio?
    lordsmurf: CPU has nothing to do with drops, and hasn't for 10-15 years. It has to be a real POS computer to drop due to CPU. Lack of TBC is the culprit.
    2 - I will never convert to DVD, the videos will be played on a laptop and some SmartTVs, so it's still recommended not to deinterlace the source or resize the video from 4:3 to square pixels resolution and leave that to the video player?

3 - The sources are all from a home camcorder (some tapes are still on VHS-C), so there's no need to capture the audio on stereo format?
    lordsmurf: confirmed to capture in mono 48kHz
    Hi there, I need to convert a bunch of old VHS tapes (regular VHS tapes and small VHS-C tapes - with that a VHS tape converter) before those memories of my wife's childhood be lost forever (some tapes are moldy and start to be damage).
    I don't have any commercial intentions and because of the Covid19 situation, I cannot spend money on hiring a professional service and I don't have any type of a professional setup.

I will use:
    • borrowed VCR LG LV3365 (only have a SCART output)
    • Scart Input/Output adapter with composite and S-video connectors
    • An old EasyCap USB device (or "EasyCrap" as it's called here) that have around here
    • My working PC: 3.6 GHz 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD Gigabyte B360M D3H Realtek ALC892; Windows 10 x64 Pro

As you can see I cannot expect great results with this hardware and lack of experience. But I seek your help to give some guidance and the conversion don't be more crappy that will need to be with my current limitations.

My planned workflow (correct me please) will be:
    • Capture with Original VirtualDub 1.9.x (EDIT recommended by lordsmurf)
    • Compress with Huffyuv codec YUV 4:2:2 8 bits, prediction mode left (I hope that I can have enough free disk space to capture 2 hours of video each time)
    • Capture audio with the Realtek ALC892 motherboard soundcard - Line In (because the Easycap audio had very poor quality). Capture in 48kHz mono (EDIT recommended by lordsmurf)
    • Capture resolution 720x576 25 fps (PAL B/G)
    • Leave interlaced
    • Try to use S-Video output (on an early result I had better image quality with composite, also the colors on S-Video started in B&W and than looked more washed)

Post-processing:
    Use Avisynth to apply some filters (noise, crop, etc. - I didn't reach that part yet) and compress to standard x264 (MP4 files) so it can be played on computers and SmartTVs - I will not convert to DVD.

Thank you, all for your time trying to help me
    Last edited by samuelcarreira; 17th Jun 2020 at 17:51.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    1 - With the current desktop CPU power, do I really need to care with dropped frames and out of sync audio?...
    You may not, but most will. Starting off on the wrong foot w/ ezcrap, IMO.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by samuelcarreira View Post
    1 - With the current desktop CPU power, do I really need to care with dropped frames and out of sync audio?
    CPU has nothing to do with drops, and hasn't for 10-15 years. It has to be a real POS computer to drop due to CPU. Lack of TBC is the culprit.

I will use:
    • borrowed VCR LG LV3365 (only have a SCART output)
    • Scart Input/Output adapter with composite and S-video connectors
    • An old EasyCap USB device (or "EasyCrap" as it's called here) that have around here
    • My working PC: 3.6 GHz 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD Gigabyte B360M D3H Realtek ALC892; Windows 10 x64 Pro
    That won't end well. Never does. Garbage hardware, garbage conversions.

Capture with VirtualDub2
    Capture in 44.1kHz mono
    No.
    - original 1.9.x VirtualDub
    - 48kHz
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, @Cornucopia and @lordsmurf I will follow your advice
    Last edited by samuelcarreira; 17th Jun 2020 at 17:53.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The version 1.10.x should be avoided for any particular reason?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualdub/files/virtualdub-win/1.10.4.35491/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by samuelcarreira View Post
    The version 1.10.x should be avoided for any particular reason?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualdub/files/virtualdub-win/1.10.4.35491/
    Yes, capture issues.
    Both it and forked Vdub2.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Yes, capture issues.
    Both it and forked Vdub2.
    Thank you for your input
    Quote Quote