VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys,
    I need help from some of you experts.
    This is the scenario:
    I have a DVD with a motion menu. It has several buttons, one of them says "Trailer".
    I want to replace it with "Intro".
    The default text is dark red, when selected it turns to bright red.
    The hard part is:
    when you enter the menu, the button labels are displayed with a "typing" effect (letters appear one by one) and the same thing happens when you exit the menu, but contrariwise (letters disappear one by one).
    The buttons are in an area of the frame with no motion.
    As far as I know this could be a very hard thing to do, but maybe someone can help.
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You will have to rip the video form the menu, manipulate the video to replace the current text with something new, then re-encode and put the video back. Depending on the video in question you might be able to do it in an editor, or you may have to use a compositor or recent (CS3 or later) version of Photoshop Extended Edition to clone over the current text before laying down new text.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    D'oh !
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Easy to say, not so easy to do
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not hugely complex, just time consuming. If you want it, you will find the time. If you can't find the time, find another solution.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. It's not the time, it's how to do it.
    This is the first time I deal with motion menu editing, as far as I know Avisynth could be involved and I am not very familiar with it.
    Besides, I don't know how to achieve the "typing effect".
    Quote Quote  
  7. The "typing effect" can be done in a number of ways, and it's probably easiest in a real editor (a NLE like vegas, or premiere, or even compositing software like after effects)

You have to be more specific ; ie. do the letters abruptly appear/disappear or do they fade in/out? and do they appear in same spot? or do the letters "fly" off or animate off?

Depending on what exactly you are going for, it might be possible to do in free software too like avisynth
    Quote Quote  
  8. There is no fading, the letters just appear, in the same spot, no "flying".
    The only animation is:
    when you enter the menu, letters appear starting from the first one of the first button to the last one of the last button,
    when you exit the menu, letters disappear starting from the last one of the last button to the first one of the first button.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Again, any editor with text overlay can do it. It could be done with avisynth and subtitles, or even Windows Movie Maker and it's text overlay. All you are doing is adding a new text overlay at regular intervals (one for each letter) until all the letters are in place. Taking the letters away is as simple as running the original clip backwards.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'll see if I can figure it out.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I made it with Premiere.
    Not easy and time consuming, but above all, useless.
    No matter how I set the parameters, the exported video has a visible loss of quality, especially on the text "labels" of the buttons.
    Quote Quote  
  12. was the original interlaced?

what were your export settings? (bitrate etc...)

were the text labels already low quality in the preview before exporting?
    Quote Quote  
  13. The original seems to be progressive.
    I tried to export as an MPEG-DVD (quality set to max) there is a quality loss, I tried Uncompressed Avi also, still quality loss but lower.
    Yes, the text was already low-quality in the Premiere preview monitor.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Instant Martian View Post
    The original seems to be progressive.
    I tried to export as an MPEG-DVD (quality set to max) there is a quality loss, I tried Uncompressed Avi also, still quality loss but lower.
    Yes, the text was already low-quality in the Premiere preview monitor.
    Can you post an example? for MPEG2 for DVD some quality loss might be understandable, but uncompressed AVI shouldn't be very much at all (a tiny bit from internal RGB colorspace conversion) depending on how you did your edit

Do you have preview in Premiere set to full , or reduced resolution/quality?

Is this 23.976fps footage with telecine removed? if you didn't remove pulldown, PP might be trying to deinterlace and you would get bad quality. This would be especially noticable around titles/letter edges.
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 9th May 2010 at 23:48.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Ok, this is what I did.
    I used what I call the "fake avi" method wich I learnt from this guide
    First thing I extracted the cell I wanted to edit with VobBlanker.
    Gave the .VOB to DGIndex. This is the preview Information panel:

Saved the .d2v file ("Demux All (Audio) Tracks" and "Honor Pulldown Flags" both selected).
    Then I loaded the .d2v file into VFAPI Reader Codec and ended up with an .avi file wich I call fake because it needs the original .VOB to work.
    I loaded this .avi into Premiere, made all the text editing, exported it, bad quality on the text.
    I don't know if this matters but the text is red, I noticed red text is hard to render on the edges.
    Premiere was set to automatic quality, I just tried again with high quality selected, same thing (we are talking about the preview quality, right?)
    Quote Quote  
  16. If you're in PAL land and this is a PAL disc, there should be no telecine flags to remove

red does show up worse than other colors when 4:2:0 YV12 is converted to RGB for display. The color information is a lot less in YV12 formats. However, it would already be bad in the original DVD (which was 4:2:0 YV12 to begin with). Processing it with Premiere should only make it slightly worse for the reasons mentioned earlier

The preview quality only affects the preview, not the final render

Posting an actual sample might help narrow down the problem
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 10th May 2010 at 17:28.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I am in Italy (so PAL land) and this is a PAL DVD.
    I know the preview quality affects only the preview but since I had already said that I set quality to max for the output files I assumed we were talking about that.
    What do you need exactly as a sample?
    I am on a slow-speed connection so I don't know if I can upload what you are asking for.
    Quote Quote  
  18. what I would like to compare is the original , vs. what you did in premiere to see if the discrepancy can all be accounted for by mpeg2 compression or is it something else?

you could use dgindex and mark in/out to cut a .m2v (video only) sample, enough to illustrate what's going on. It should only be a few MB, and you can upload it directly here if <30MB. Alternatively you could use a free host like mediafire.com

what doesn't make sense to me, is that your uncompressed avi is showing the same "bad" quality (slightly better than using mpeg2 for export). It should be "near" perfect, with the only losses from colorspace conversion. This suggests to me either you are doing something wrong (maybe wrong sequence settings?) , or some incorrect settings were used

Also, what version of premiere are you using?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Ok, I'll see tomorrow what I can do (it's a little late here).
    Premiere Pro CS4.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I really want to thank poisondeathray for his help on this.
    Thank you very much for time and kindness!
    Quote Quote  
  21. just for completeness and to fill in the gaps for people who might stumble on this thread, we had some pm's back and forth and got it sorted out.

to summarize, most of the problems were solved by getting the right settings for sequence and export in premiere

if anyone else has problems, just make a new post, or continue in this thread
    Quote Quote