VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. daimon
    Hello,
    I bought some videos from a website only to find out that are restricted to watch only by streaming or you have to get their own player name Purple Player. The files are mp4 file format, they don't play on any other player vlc,QuickTime, windows media player etc. Anyone have any idea how can convert it so i can watch it with vlc?
    Thanks
    D.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    They might be encrypted, and if so, you're most likely out of luck

You could try opening one in mediainfo to see just what it contains
    Quote Quote  
  3. daimon
    Thanks Davexnet, unfortunately mediainfo doesn't say anything about the codec or any other details except the name of the file. Must be some kind of encrypted video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In that case your only recourse is to attempt to screen-cap when watching via the web-stream. There is a topic on here that discusses the tools available.

Possibly, the paid-for tools also will grab the web-stream. Since we have no info to work on we are unable to advise (read below)

Point of interest. You NEVER actually buy anything when you acquire video in this manner. All items are copyright protected and it is up to the provider if you can download to your device.

This service appears not to allow for that. But the forum rules explicitly prevent discussion about downloading from 'rental' sites. You may well disagree. But if you do not have a direct - via the original site - capability to download and play via your player of choice you are renting and not actually purchasing adfinitem.
    Quote Quote  
  5. daimon
    DB83 you assumed that I am trying to do something illegal ? FYI the streaming video I bought also has an option to download it and have it on my hard disk. The problem is the that they restrict you to play the video with their own player. Next time you want to answer a question try and be helpful not a smart ass.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your downloaded file seems to be encrypted. Ripping software exists for DVD and Blu-ray but, in nearly every case, the same can't be said for the types of encryption used to protect other forms of copy-protected commercially distributed video. Unless you are an expert cryptologist with plenty of time on your hands to figure out the encryption and write software, the only reasonable course of action is to record the screen while playing the file. DB83 did mention that option, so in fact, he did help you.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th Mar 2018 at 15:24.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  7. daimon
    thanks usually_quiet
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by daimon View Post
    thanks usually_quiet
    I'm also somewhat doubtful that you actually own the video in a meaningful way, but without knowing the terms of service for the video site you use, I can't be certain. Having a download means nothing in terms of ownership. Sometimes downloads exist as a means to allow offline viewing and have an expiration date.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  9. daimon
    LOL don't really care what you think or not.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LOL back

From the purple website:

purple DRM

Our content security was recently vetted over a lengthy, multi-month process by one of the world’s most respected security evaluation firms for a major Hollywood studio. We passed the test!

Stream URLs are secured, and downloaded files are encrypted and cannot be played except by an authorized user. When a subscription or rental period ends, any downloaded media is automatically deleted from the user’s device.
    Quote Quote