VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which DVD/Blu-Ray players play the MKV format?
    I have an old friend who is computer illiterate and only knows how to play video from disc media - DVD or BluRay - and only using an old standard-res CRT TV made in the 1980s. It *might* be possible to persuade him to buy a new player if it can play the MKV format, since many videos only come that way. So, what players play MKV and how do I get a list? Have tried searching "MKV" on this forum but get no results. One time I got one JVC player to come up but so far nothing else.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    How about teaching your friend to use a dedicated media player? Then he can play many different kinds of files. Tell him it's like a disc player except you stick in a flash drive instead of a disc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you look to the upper left on this page for 'DVD Players', then check the box for 'MKV', you should get a list of compatible players.
    Not all of them will play all versions of MKV as it's a container, not a format and can have quite a few variations.

The other problem would be the 'CRT's input format. Probably just composite video and separate audio. If so, you would need a compatible player
    for that input. Most players have HDMI these days, along with some other outputs. Many have USB inputs for video where you could use a USB stick or a USB hard drive.

I use a cheap Samsung Blu-ray player that plays BDs, DVDs, MKVs and MP4 video.

You may also want software that can convert some of your video to MKV. Try Vidcoder or similar.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Blu-ray players made after 2013 aren't even allowed to include analog video outputs. So, no composite, s-video, or component.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Time to update the TV also.

Or a HDMI to composite adapter if the TV doesn't have a digital input.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, (on this other person's side.. ) it's a matter of being in a very narrow transition period of extremely tight finanancies - no money / low wage job, no possibility of changing jobs, no possibility of a new TV, no new computer, no possibility of being able to play the disk in the presently-owned dinosaur computer. All the new videos being found are coming out in this "MKV" format so they cannot be played in this situation. (It isn't worth my time/effort to transcode them, and mail them by post either, this friend being 1,000 miles away.)
    Redwudz there might possibly be 1 player built early enough to contain composite output for old CRTs that can play MKV containing standard-def format videos perhaps....
    If I have to teach this friend how to live in the 21st century, I would also need a ton of money to travel to his place, buy him all the new equipment, and teach him how to use it. Unless some major miracle happens, it probably won't happen. Sounds like he's just SOL. Oh well. But thanks for the advice JVRaines, jagabo, and redwuz, it did help think through all this.
    Quote Quote  
  8. if money is an issue, there are hdmi to rca adapters which will convert the signal from a player with only hdmi output to an old tv. they are available on ebay for a few bucks. obviously, the signal will no longer have digital purity, but that seems to be a lower priority here than other concerns. i use one of these adapters myself, but make sure you get one which is hdmi to rca, not the other way around. also make sure that you get a true signal converter, not just a patch cord. the one you want is powered by usb.
    Quote Quote