VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I thought some of you would find this information helpful. I have a Sony RDR GX-300 DVD Recorder that I use with an external Time Base Corrector to capture VHS and TV. The following video stream rates are from Bitrate Viewer 1.5.054.

HQ setting, 60 minutes: Peak = 9080 kbps, Average = 8789 kbps.
    HSP setting, 90 minutes: Peak = 6277 kbps, Average = 5486 kbps.
    SP setting, 120 minutes: Peak = 5120 kbps, Average = 4017 kbps.

As you can see, only the HSP and SP settings will allow you to upgrade the audio stream to lpcm wav at 1536k if you don't recompress the video (and you shouldn't do that!).

Does anybody know if there are standalone DVD recorders that allow you to customize the video bitrate settings?

Cheers, MattMan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Mattman,
    I don't have the info on varing bit rates and it sounds like only a PC variable.

Don't mean to hijack a post but I have just got a GX300 and I'm in a rush to decide wether to keep it (28day no quibble return). Have you had your's long and have you found the media problems others seem to have. My tests have shown it to say a new Philips 1-2x -RW as dirty after burning half the disk. JVC 2x -RW looks ok. Am I going to get this all the time. My philips 3305 burns everything with out a problem (badly from VHS input though, too bright). Only got the sony for better coping from input source, which is perfect but I have no time for wasted disks especially from some one like Sony, who I'd always considered the best in AV.

'lordsmurf' may know about DVDR features, like setting bit rate.
    Cheers

just saw site - that steely dan stuff sounds good, actually I've just remembered about a program I've got about 'aja' an hour documentary in the studio of there ideas in recording it. Need to dig it out.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hey StuR,

I have not had any problems with the Sony DVD recorder. I use Sony, Verbatim, Fuji and Memorex DVD-Rs without any problems. Although the recorder will work with +Rs, I like -rs because the disc format is a lot quicker.

For extracting the data from the recorded dvd to your pc, you will need to finalize a +r or -R disc, however, if you record on a RW disc then you will not need to finalize it in order for the pc to read the data.

Finally, this DVDR does not allow for setting bitrates other than the standard HQ, HSP, SP, LP or EP settings. But as I mentioned, what is neat about this DVDR is that eventhough the record settings are fixed, the machine does record one-pass VBR.

Cheers, Matt

Originally Posted by StuR
    Hi Mattman,
    I don't have the info on varing bit rates and it sounds like only a PC variable.

Don't mean to hijack a post but I have just got a GX300 and I'm in a rush to decide wether to keep it (28day no quibble return). Have you had your's long and have you found the media problems others seem to have. My tests have shown it to say a new Philips 1-2x -RW as dirty after burning half the disk. JVC 2x -RW looks ok. Am I going to get this all the time. My philips 3305 burns everything with out a problem (badly from VHS input though, too bright). Only got the sony for better coping from input source, which is perfect but I have no time for wasted disks especially from some one like Sony, who I'd always considered the best in AV.

'lordsmurf' may know about DVDR features, like setting bit rate.
    Cheers

just saw site - that steely dan stuff sounds good, actually I've just remembered about a program I've got about 'aja' an hour documentary in the studio of there ideas in recording it. Need to dig it out.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by MattMan_mcole
    Does anybody know if there are standalone DVD recorders that allow you to customize the video bitrate settings?

Cheers, MattMan

The Toshiba RD-XS34 has adjustable video bitrate settings, plus three audio bitrate settings (two Dolby Digital settings and L-PCM). They can be used in any combination, too.

Several other machines from Pioneer, JVC, Panasonic, etc. have adjustable bitrate settings (or "FR" mode)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by gshelley61
    Originally Posted by MattMan_mcole

Cheers, MattMan

The Toshiba RD-XS34 has adjustable video bitrate settings, plus three audio bitrate settings (two Dolby Digital settings and L-PCM). They can be used in any combination, too.

Several other machines from Pioneer, JVC, Panasonic, etc. have adjustable bitrate settings (or "FR" mode)
    Thanks for the info. I probably would have purchaed the Toshiba had I known this info back in April. It looks like a choice machine for $300.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi cheers for the reply,
    Unfortunatly I've seen a JCV mv10 dvd/HD/vhs combi for £200 so I'm still trying to decide.
    The JVC's have an optimal bitrate function which intellgently varies the data required i.e. a fixed veiw of a painting is essentually a still for a few seconds and requires very low data, where as a shot of some one running would switch to the highest data rate. That way JVC claim it writes a dvd in the manner of a pro creating an origonal dvd, saving space here to use there so to speak.
    I know JVC/Pioneer/toshiba have FreeRate FR but I thought you wanted to actully set the bitrate by number, whereas FR is a time measurment to fit best onto a disk. You could probably do some calculations to find the equvilant FR time to bitrate but sounds abit complicated!
    Personally Pioneer look to be more reliable that JVC and looking at some toshiba manuals and reviews I've been put off, as the other 2 have more adjustable settings.

I've found the GX300 to be fine at 2hr or less. I don't think VHS can be anything over 2hr. I went for the sony as it has a rare input signal adjuster for the colour/contrast/brightness (as do toshiba/pioneer -don't think jvc). But I don't think I'll need it much as it just replicates the origonal. I got a philips 3305 which brightened and blurred all incomming signals so couldn't use and thought I needed to have the option to adjust. Looks like it was just a problem with philips recorders.

I'd suggest downloading manuals from the support sites for recorders. Its the only way I've found out certain things about them. Most companies seem to have the functions throughout the range, like all sony's have the same record and play equalizers.
    Cheers stuR
    Quote Quote