VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Please give me some feedback on this video please. This video is comprised of multiple video clips shot at different shutter speeds to accomodate for changing light conditions. The only sections of the video where the footage has uniform settings is the section where the clips of the car while its moving - are all shot with a GoPro at 30 fps)

For the clips where I*am panning around the stationary car, I*had to go to over 1/200th of a second shutter speed to account for the lighting conditions. However for the clips where the car is moving and I*am shooting the car from outside as well as the camera on the moving car, I*used a GoPro with the standard 4K/30 fps . I zoomed in in post to almost twice the size as the car was too far away. I*rendered the video using the standard "cinematic" settings of 30 fps. I use Davinci Resolve 16.2

Question 1: Does zooming in cause a drop in quality if I*render the video in 4K*(as I didn't zoom in for the panning shots of the stationary car also shot at 4K) vs standard HD of 2160 x 1080 p?

Question 2: Should I*be changing the aperture instead of the shutter speed for the footage walking around the stationary car and making sure the fps stays at 30 fps so that all the clips have the same fps so that when rendering in post its uniform? Is that what is causing a "glitch" or shaky effect in the first part of the video? The clip of the panning around the car when watched on my pc (not the version rendered after post processing) does not have that glitch effect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7RN4ctHI0I

This is my B-roll footage for a car review. The A-roll showing me talking and reviewing the car is not complete yet and is not part of this video. I was just practicing how to "stitch" together all the B-roll footage in a manner that would be interesting.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Shutter speed and fps are not the same thing.

You can shoot at 30fps at 1/60th of a second and 30 fps at 1/2000th of a second. The difference will be the time of exposure with each 30th/sec frame.

Zooming in will lose you quality, but many people shoot 4K intending to use it at HD so they can push in without going beyond the original pixel size.

By glitch do you mean the stabilizer trying to correct for the shaky walking?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Shutter speed and fps are not the same thing.

You can shoot at 30fps at 1/60th of a second and 30 fps at 1/2000th of a second. The difference will be the time of exposure with each 30th/sec frame.

Zooming in will lose you quality, but many people shoot 4K intending to use it at HD so they can push in without going beyond the original pixel size.

By glitch do you mean the stabilizer trying to correct for the shaky walking?
    Thanks for the feedback!

Assuming shooting in 4K and rendering in HD (1920x1080), what is the most you can zoom in and not lose quality - 50%?

Yes, I meant the shaking walking - I guess that is just shaky walking, not a glitch.
    Quote Quote  
  4. [QUOTE=CarReviewer;2589292]

Assuming shooting in 4K and rendering in HD (1920x1080), what is the most you can zoom in and not lose quality - 50%?

Yes, I meant the shaking walking - I guess that is just shaky walking, not a glitch.
    Assuming you mean 3840 x 2160 4K (there are a number of flavors) you can zoom in to 200% before you move beyond 1:1 pixels. 4K and HD can often be safely blown up to 150% or greater natively and still retain reasonable quality.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    [QUOTE=smrpix;2589293]
    Originally Posted by CarReviewer View Post

Assuming you mean 3840 x 2160 4K (there are a number of flavors) you can zoom in to 200% before you move beyond 1:1 pixels. 4K and HD can often be safely blown up to 150% or greater natively and still retain reasonable quality.
    Thank you! It's very much appreciated!

So I'm guessing that to render a 4K video in 2K, I can zoom in to 100%.
    Quote Quote