VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Does anyone know if it's possible to repackage a matroska file to .divx with subtitle stream and no reconding the same way that AVIAddXSubs does for avi files?

BTW does it need user input for idx/sub support? Does it turn them to subrit format or does the .divx container allow for vobsub format support?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Only if your mkv contains mpeg4-asp (divx or xvid) video. The .divx format doesn't support h.264 video, which is more commonly used with .mkv , and the divx ultra standalone players will not play h.264 video anyway

.divx container allows idx/sub format, and srt
    Quote Quote  
  3. Isnt there an alternative container that allows for h264 and subtitles, since mkv is not widely supported on external hardware.

I can repackage mkv to vob (.mpg) but as far as i know .mpg cant allow for subtitle streams.

Any suggesftions?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by therock003 View Post
    Isnt there an alternative container that allows for h264 and subtitles, since mkv is not widely supported on external hardware.
    It's getting there, many media boxes like Tvix, popcorn hour, wdtv, patriot etc... support mkv and other formats. Some of the models are ~$100 USD

If you mean DivX dvd players, they don't support h264 at all, so what you're trying to do is useless anyway

HTPC can certainly play back nearly anything, so If you mean some other type of "external hardware", please clarify.

But to answer your question, transport streams (e.g. .m2ts) support h.264 video and subs. You could use tsmuxer for example.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The Device i'm mostly interested in is the PS3 gaming console. As far as i know it supports tsmuxer created files, but i havent tried that yet.

Let me give it a shot. I hope it doesnt transcode anything.

EDIT i just tried tsmuxer and used an .m2ts output. File was playable but subtitles and chapters were unavailable. I dont think i did something wrongg, but it is possible that the ps3 doesnt handle additional streams from .m2ts files.
    Last edited by therock003; 29th Jan 2010 at 12:01.
    Quote Quote  
  6. blu-ray uses the same format , and ps3 can play subs fine

you might try multiavchd instead, it uses a slightly different muxer
    Quote Quote  
  7. Nope, still no subtitle support and i dont know why. I keep hearing that the ps doesnt want to display subtitles with hd mateerial.

I even tried the suggestion to save the srt file with utf-8 encoding and select ps3 as my output on multiavchd but still it doesnt list any available subtitle stream upon ps3 playback.

That's a bummer....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just to be safe (not that I'm sure it'd really help), is the PS3's firmware completely up-to-date?
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I dont have the latest but there no reports to base that this is the issue. AFAIK no fw version seem to support avchd subs.

BTW as for divx xsubs, is there a way to make them more likeable? They are very sharp and have edges all around and look bad on my 50' screen.
    Quote Quote  
  10. You can't have subtitles and chapters when you play directly the .m2ts file (or when you stream it). You need to copy/use the whole AVCHD structure. Then you can have menus, DTS audio, VC-1 video, chapters, subtitles, TrueHD audio and a lot more.

Dean
    Laugh and the world will laugh with you. Cry and you will be alone
    Quote Quote