VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This sounds silly but I thought someone was saying that they are burned and there are magnetic layers. The whole purpose for me is to back u my 8mm magnetic tapes to stop the degradation.

I highly doubt they are but oyu never know.

Thanks in advance
    I know enough to be dangerous!!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. cds and dvds use some sort of adhesive that is said by experts to last for 20 years or something. so no, they are magnetic.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    CD's and DVD's are Optical use light from a laser to read and write. The laser actual burns the data to the CD or DVD.
    May the force be with you.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I would have bet money on it but it's a good question to pose. I hope someone will benefit from it that didn't want to look stupid.

I am use to it.

THanks
    I know enough to be dangerous!!!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Good Morning, Mr. Phelps. Sorry, couldn't resist.

CD's are highly variable in longevity, from an approximate 100-year lifespan (?) to less than 5 years. Mostly, the cheap blue ones had the poorest lifetimes, gold the best. Avoid direct sunlight, high humidity.

This info came from a lengthy paper on testing and comparison, controlled aging simulation, etc.

The main point is that with the very cheap disks, asking for a 20-year lifetime even under ideal storage conditions is not going to happen, although imperfections would most likely be fairly minor.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Minidisc audio discs and data-only MO drives use magneto-optical recording technology, but optical playback. The MD/MO discs have some sort of exotic material that changes reflectivity when exposed to light and a magnetic field.

CDs and DVDs are non-magnetic.
    Quote Quote