VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi
    I have an MP4 file which in windows explorer does not have a LENGTH...and will not play, its 27 Gb in size, is there an easy way to fix this maybe with ffmpeg ?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. try remuxing:
    ffmpeg -i "input.mp4" -c copy "output.mp4"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Post a Mediainfo report from your mp4 file here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I tried ffmpeg and various other programs without success

https://files.videohelp.com/u/232580/MediaArea.net_MediaInfo%20-%20X__Hi8%20Video_Keith%20tapes.png

Does this tell us anything ?

Thanks
    Last edited by Reddwarf4ever; 21st Sep 2020 at 19:17.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Reddwarf4ever View Post
    I tried ffmpeg and various other programs without success

https://files.videohelp.com/u/232580/MediaArea.net_MediaInfo%20-%20X__Hi8%20Video_Keith%20tapes.png

Does this tell us anything ?
    Yes. The file is corrupt.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Ok I think I knew that, as it won’t play, but can it be fixed ? Only evidence I can see is that there is no length....thanks
    Quote Quote  
  7. Post the ffmpeg error message when it fails to remux and the text output from mediainfo.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Given that MediaInfo says nothing but the name and size -- the file is missing the header info that indicates things like the codecs, frame size, frame rate, running time, etc. That often happens when recordings are terminated improperly (power loss, system crash, etc.) because the header data is usually written last. There are MP4 repair programs that can examine the file along with a similar file from the same device and build a new header (Remo Video Repair, for example).

You can try examining the file with a hex editor. If you find that it's mostly 00 or FF you won't be able to repair the file. The following post has examples of the hex editor view of the first few hundred bytes of a good mp4 file and a bad mp4 file:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/397885-Hey-guys-Go-Pro-Hero-3-Corrupted-files-Help...-(#post2588759
    Quote Quote  
  9. Used winHex and every single entry is a ZERO....how can it be that bad ?

One of the programs I used created a header file, ( just found it ) but guess that’s a waste of time

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  10. Only you, God and Chuck Norris know where this file comes from and what it's been through.
    One hypothesis : counterfeit memory card. See there for a more detailed explanation.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Reddwarf4ever View Post
    Used winHex and every single entry is a ZERO....how can it be that bad ?

One of the programs I used created a header file, ( just found it ) but guess that’s a waste of time

Thanks
    LOL, only a pirate would bother trying to fix a file that contained all "00" as data. it's a blank dummy file. steal it from somewhere else.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  12. LOL, only a pirate would bother trying to fix a file that contained all "00" as data. it's a blank dummy file. steal it from somewhere else.
    Based on the name of the file it looks like a transfer from personal Hi8 recordings, so this comment is unnecessarily rude and crass.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by abolibibelot View Post
    LOL, only a pirate would bother trying to fix a file that contained all "00" as data. it's a blank dummy file. steal it from somewhere else.
    Based on the name of the file it looks like a transfer from personal Hi8 recordings, so this comment is unnecessarily rude and crass.
    let me guess. you're also a blm supporter?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  14. What’s this talk about a PIRATE file, from aedipuss, I think.......unbelievable how some people’s minds work, takes a pirate to think like a pirate, some might say, but not me �� as another poster said it was from a family Hi8 video file, did a lot of moving back and forth between hard drives, during a recent ‘ tidy up’ think it got corrupted along the way......will have to dig out the original tape and copy it again.....it’s just there are 40 odd tapes and I didn’t number the files, lesson learnt there...

Thanks everyone keep safe and well ��

Oh and thanks to-abolibibelot for pointing out what should have been obvious to aedipuss

Think this thread can be closed now ��
    Quote Quote