VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have recently bought "Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10". My video camera is HD. It is the "Samsung H200 full hd camera". When I download the video files from my camera, onto my computer, they are set to a MP4 format. When I try and import them to Sony Vegas, it imports, but when I press the play button, the video will play, but the audio cuts off, and cracks. I have tried converting it to WMV and AVI, but they still seem to have either the same issue, or similar. I have put in some codecs, but it still doesn't seem to work.

How can I fix this? Please help me. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Start with a mediainfo tree view of the file so you know what codec has been used for the audio (probably AAC) and what settings have been used.

When you tried to encode it to something else, what did you use, and what settings did you use ?

Does the file play correctly in WMP before conversion ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Okay. Thanks for the mediainfo!

And, when I tried to encode it to something else, I used "Hamster Free Video Converter". If I am sure what you mean on settings, I first used WMV, then tried AVI.

And the file did not play correctly on WMP before conversion. It said I did not have the right codec, or the file format was not supported.

Also, after I had converted it from MP4 to AVI, I imported it to Sony Vegas, and I could now hear the audio fine, but the video was slow and non-consistent.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Never heard of "Hamster Free Video Converter", but the name doesn't fill me with confidence (just visions of a small furry creature in a wheel). Try something like Xmedia Recode or Xvid4PSP in future.

Try posting a copy of the tree view output here so we can see the file you are dealing with. Conversion to high quality HD WMV should work for Vegas. Unfortunately your computer specs are a little, well, vague. It may be that you simply don't have enough grunt to play back the file smoothly. Try this - click on Start, then right-click on Computer and select Properties. You should get a lot more details about your system - CPU, memory etc. - which will tell us if this is more likely to be a file or system problem.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Haha! I know! I uninstalled it, and now have been converting my MP4 files to WMV files, with a converting system that came with my camera (that we did not know it came with at first). :P And it works when I import it to Sony Vegas.

You are right. When you said it works in Sony Vegas, when you convert it to WMV. So far, it works. I will let you know more as I continue.

Also, I had checked the properties under computer. I saw some things that it said, but nothing really looked important to me, that would be useful.

And I am sorry but, what is the "tree view"? I am a little confused.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Open your file, then select View (menu) -> Tree. Or Text. You can then highlight all the content and paste it into your post.

When converting to WMV make sure you keep the bitrate high to maintain as much quality as possible during the re-encoding process.

The information you want from the computer properties are these types of things

Click image for larger version

Name:	System.PNG
Views:	2095
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	4884
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. System

Manufacturer: Gateway

Model: DX4200-09

Rating: 3.7 Windows Experience Index

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9100e Quad-Core Processor 1.80 GHz

Memory (RAM): 4.00GB

System Type: 64-bit Operating System
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know if Vegas studio has the same options as Vegas pro. But try Options/Preferences and there Audio Device. Change it to Windows Classic Wave driver. Now listen to your video.
    If that doesn't work, try to export the sound as a normal Windows wave file. And put that wave file under your video, muting the aac file. Now try watching the video, good luck.
    Better to arrange the sound than to reencode the video first.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Okay, I will try that! Lets see what happens! :P

Thanks by the way!

After trying the options/preferences thing, it did not work. Now I think I am going to try the second solution you suggested.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Okay, I have installed some codecs, and now my AVI files are going in, and working. It is a little slow though, when it is playing... O.o

And I don't know if the audio works with the AVI files that I am now putting in, because I filmed them on mute.
    Quote Quote