VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Im having problems backing up Fun with Dick and Jane and Hostel. I used dvd fab to rip the complete dvd to my hard disk but dvdshrink wont let me reauthor the video for better quality. Is there another program I should be using?

Thanx
    Black Dawg
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I backed up Hostel, but can't remember if I used dvd fab first or not. I do know that I was able to reauthor just the movie portion, tho.
    Make sure you have the latest version of dvd fab just to make sure.

As for Dick and Jane......sorry, can't help you there.
    TANSTAAFL
    Quote Quote  
  3. I used the newest version of dvdfabdecrypter and then dvd shrink and both of those movies played fine.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry. can't help. Both movies were really bad. You may want to consider asking for a refund. I know I did when I returned my rentals.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I used dvd fab, then ran it through vob blanker, then into shrink. Worked fine. I did this with Hostel only.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DvdShrink is like the canary in the coal mine. When it chokes, you know there's a problem with the rip.

Most people here seem to like DvdFabDecrypter, but if that route isn't working for you, the best way to rip it is with the PSL2 Plugin for PgcEdit. It always works, doesn't need updates, is also free, and the resulting rip is always fully dvd standard compliant. It will even open the rip in DvdShrink at the end to ensure compliance.

You can get the full installer (minus DvdShrink and DvdDecrypter) here. Since you already have DvdShrink, the only thing you will need is DvdDecrypter, if you don't already have it.

Once installed, just follow the instructions in the wizard.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i ripped this movie (hostel) with dvdfabdecrypter and it worked fine.

m yproblem is that shrink will just not accept it....it keeps saying:
    "dvd shrink has encountered a problem and cannot continue
    invalid data in VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_5.VOB"

i tried cleaning with fixVTS and freedvd.....and that did nothing..

any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by ted demen
    any suggestions?
    Sure.

1) Got the latest version of DVDFabDecrypter?
    2) Try VobBlanker (again, latest version) instead of FixVTS (version?). Load the rip and hit "Process", that's it. Try DVDShrink again.
    3) Try ripping with RipIt4Me. If you have AnyDVD or DVD43, they MUST be disabled when using RipIt4Me.
    4) Go the whole hog and use the PSL2 Plugin for PgcEdit. Get the installer here:

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=58318

[EDIT] Heh, just noticed VegasBud already linked to the installer. :P
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93
    Originally Posted by ted demen
    any suggestions?
    Sure.

1) Got the latest version of DVDFabDecrypter?
    2) Try VobBlanker (again, latest version) instead of FixVTS (version?). Load the rip and hit "Process", that's it. Try DVDShrink again.
    ok i did that, and voblanker made a 3.31 gig file while the original is 7.18 gig...

..now what?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ted demen,

When DvdShrink choked, it was telling you that the rip was bad. Even if the rip seemed fine, it was too far from dvd compliant for DvdShrink to work with it. If FixVTS wasn't able to fix it, then it's time to rip the original again. You can keep trying to fix the bad rip, but in the end, you'll just be wasting your time.

When you rip it this time, I strongly urge you to follow fritzi93's suggestion #3 - use RipIt4Me. If you do, your problem will disappear.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    vegasBud, i ripped this movie once originally and shrink reported problems....so i thought there were damaged sectors on the disc....i returned the movie and exchanged for a new one.....ripped this one and the exact same problem happenes (with the exact same file) so i know it was not a faulty disc....
    dvdfabdecrypter reported that it ripped it successfully hence why im assuming it is fine...

but i will try ripit4me

and will report....

thanx
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by VegasBud
    You can keep trying to fix the bad rip, but in the end, you'll just be wasting your time.
    That about sums it up.

Oh well, worth a try with VobBlanker. At one time, VobBlanker was the tool to correct rip structure. Some new protections came out that defeated VobBlanker, and about the same time FixVTS was first released, which COULD cope. VobBlanker has since been updated, of course. The PSL2 plugin gives you the choice to use either one.

I wonder if it might be wise to clean out DVDShrink's analysis files, so it doesn't error-out (without analyzing) when you feed it a good rip. Make it do the analysis over again. They're here on my computer: C:\DocumentsandSettings\AllUsers\ApplicationData\D VDShrink. You need to have explorer set to show hidden files and folders.

Good luck and let us know how you're doing.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are any of you guys updating your DvD drive firmware? The programs I use to back up my movies are the latest version of AnyDvD and use decrypter in Iso mode then burn with image burn. If the movie needs to be edited to fit on a single layer I use shrink and then Iso that and always use Image burn to burn. This always has worked for me. BTW I have a Sony DRU-810e DL drive.
    Hope this helps
    Quote Quote