VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Anyone know if there is an adapter to go from my Cardbus Firewire Adapter to an Ethernet RJ45 for networking?

I know that you can use firewire to network, but I want to use the firewire card on my laptop to connect to my home network. I guess I am looking for some like they have for usb to ethernet. As you guys know, you can buy a USB to Ethernet so that u can connect any usb computer to a network. I am looking for something like that but for firewire.
    sFX WE
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've never seen such a device, i think u should just buy a cardbus NIC
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you are using WME or WXP you could get a cheap firewire card for your PC and take advantage of the network TCP/IP stack that MS bundled.

The only thing you will have to do is to assign and IP address to the firewire card in your laptop (IE: 10.1.1.10), assign another IP address to the other PC (IE: 10.1.1.20), plug a fire wire card from your laptop to your PC, and you will be the proud user of a fast and hubless home network.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just out of curiosity, why aren't you using USB?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have not ever seen one of those. Does your laptop not have RJ45? That is odd it has firewire but not RJ45 or USB.

Or are you thinking that you will get a speed boost by using firewire? If that is the case, you will not. It will slow down to 100 Mb/sec which is the speed of 100base ethernet.
    "A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct."
    - Frank Herbert, Dune
    Quote Quote  
  6. My LapTop has a USB port, but the adapters from USB to Ethernet are very slow . I have a firewire card and a 10/100 card, but they both wont fit in the laptop port at the same time. I am always switching them out .

I figure if there was an adapter I could plug it into my firewire card which has 2 ports, thus saving me from having to switch all the time. One port for my FireWire HD and 1 port for an ether net connection.

I know I can just hook it up to my desktop via firewire, but thats kinda hard to do when the desktop is upstairs and I am down stairs, lol....
    sFX WE
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I’m assuming that you only have one PCMCIA slot in your laptop.

You could have both (Ethernet and firewire) interfaces but it will require extra hardware. First you will need a combo firewire/USB2 adapter. I really like the one from orange micro because these cards have 4 ports (2 fire wire ports and 2 USB2). With this setup you could connect your firewire stuff and at the same time you could use an USB2 to 10/100 Ethernet interface (a lot faster than the USB1 to ethernet).

Look at them:

Firewire usb combo card:
    http://www.orangemicro.com/pccardcombo.html

USB2 ethernet adapter:
    http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=133
    Quote Quote