VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. I have to agree with jagabo, its crappy encoding. It doesn't matter what is written on internet, you can judge by looking video and screenshots. Lack of fine details and sharpness and it has a lot of artifacts. When you view at 100% (no scaling) you can see it.

HEVC is more efficient then H.264 but did they used good HEVC encoder? And is HEVC realy that much more efficient (50%) compared to H.264? I don't think so. And your sample proves that.

So, question is - do you trust your eyes or what you read somewhere on internet? And, are you objective or you are just so excited because you watched 4K HEVC feed that you want to believe it was amazing?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-25 19 42 15.png
Views:	369
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	26570  

Last edited by Detmek; 25th Jul 2014 at 12:57.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Detmek View Post
    I have to agree with jagabo, its crappy encoding.
    So, question is - do you trust your eyes or what you read somewhere on internet?
    I agree also that quality is low but first - image should be from I frame not B frame (where quality is lower usually), second this is very early stage for h.265 encoding, with time encoders will me more and more efficient i hope and quality will improve.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I agree, pandy. H.265 is still in early stage and we will see much more latter but now it is not amazing. And this feed is not amazing. HEVC has a problem keeping fine details and it is not much more efficient compared to H.264, at this stage.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I encoded this 4k HEVC clip from a downloaded youtube AVC clip. The quality is still good and you can play it with a lot less CPU. Not bad, considering it came from an already highly compressed source.
    Image Attached Files
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Detmek View Post
    you can judge by looking video and screenshots. Lack of fine details and sharpness and it has a lot of artifacts. When you view at 100% (no scaling) you can see it.
    Sadly, but i cant because i dont have strong enough pc to judge by looking at the video, so all lack of details and artifacts could be because of my bad pc.. i can make you now screenshot of some bluray HD movie on my 10-15 years old pc - what do you think, will that screenshot be with artifacts and without sharpness or not? thats what i am talking about, almost everyone here said that they had problem with playing the file - and now they are judging the quality picture, isnt that strange? if you dont have a good machine to play it right, its normal that you get crappy picture without details, sharpness and full of artifacts .. no?

here is one more 4k feed screenshot taken from some other guy, quality looks fine to me... sadly its not in full 4k resoultion to see it better

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t31.0-8/10344143_10203696457244...34084197_o.jpg
    Quote Quote  
  6. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    ^ Man , you surely have been infected by the HEVC-hype virus. Otherwise,
    you would not be writing so much nonsense
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    El Heggunte, please if you dont have anything to say dont spam the topic just to write something
    Quote Quote  
  8. I didn't make that screenshot when video was playing. I paused a video and grabbed frame from buffer using MPC-HC's internal image capture function. This image is captured right after decoder and before render. It is not a mix of few frames and artifacts are not caused by playback. Those are part of video. Besides, slow CPU makes video playback jerky, not corrupted.

It is true that artifacts are harder to notice when you look downscaled version because those are donwscaled too but if you match pixels 1:1 on any screen (use image viewer and set zoom to 100% aka no scaling) you can see those artifacts very easy. And you should watch 4k video on 4k display which gives you 1:1 pixel matching.

P.S. Screenshot that you posted has lot of aliasing and lack of fine details.
    Quote Quote  
  9. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kasda View Post
    El Heggunte, please if you dont have anything to say dont spam the topic just to write something
    I say you are spreading MIS-information, and this is not irrelevant
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 26th Jul 2014 at 00:17. Reason: clarify
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Detmek View Post
    I didn't make that screenshot when video was playing. I paused a video and grabbed frame from buffer using MPC-HC's internal image capture function.
    Next time try this one - should work better as it select only (i hope) I frames thus provide better quality.

Code:
    @ffmpeg -i %1 -vf "select='eq(pict_type,I)'" -vsync 0 %1_%%06d.png
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!