VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11
FirstFirst ... 9 10 11
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    piosindeathray: just spent most of the morning loading stuff required by QTGMC. I can see many scenes that could use various elements here. QTGCM wants AddGrainC. Its package includes a "modded" version 1.5. The one I have from a while back is AddGrainC v1.2. I'm be using v1.5 included with QTGCM, even if I might not need its functions for a while.

I have an Excel spreadsheet trying to keep track of different plugin versions needed by AviSynth scripts. Pain in the neck, especially since all of AviSynth I use is duplicated on 2 PC's and a flash drive . I can see learning and using QTGMC will take a while.

BTW, the AVI version of the bad fields I posted had been denoised, but had not gone thru mvtools. The "today" version is somewhat smoother, but it still needs your idea with QTGMC. To be continued . . .
    Last edited by sanlyn; 28th Jul 2011 at 09:08.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Code:

MPEG2Source()
    QTGMC(preset="slower" , edimode="eedi2", sharpness=0.3)
    TTempSmooth(maxr=1, lthresh=24, cthresh=4, strength=4)
    And to re-interlace it for TFF for going back to mpeg2/DVD
    AssumeTFF().SeparateFields().SelectEvery(4, 0, 3).Weave()
    Voila! I played with the settings a bit, but the script worked OK as-is. It really softened the earlier frames, but I can patch in the initial panning-down sequence by itself and keep the more detailed (?) earlier frames fixed with mvtools.

Two frustrations: took about 2 hours to get all of QTGMC's dependencies loaded into plugins. Not that big a deal, but the biggest frustration was going thru tons of documentation for various QTGMC pieces and not being able to decipher just how it works in detail. I'll just keep studying it more, later. I have the same learning problem with mvtools.

QTGMC cleaned up vertical pans quite well, but somehow had no little effect on horizontal motion flutter. Well, as I said, this video has been an invaluable long-term learning tool. There are a couple of earlier, similar scenes where I can use QTGMC and mvtools for final tweaks. But anything more complicated will have to come later. After I get the tweaks done and put the whole 3 hours together, I'll be spending a few months (years) in doom9. You sure can't say this project doesn't have its share of "problem samples" to play with.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 31st Jul 2011 at 10:08.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Information you can use to underwhelm party guests and send them home early:

I wanted to see what the TMPGenc Editor v.3 crossfade feature does with video/audio sync. While working on the Big Finish sequence I broke the scene into 3 pieces (before, during, and after the white dissolve). I made 3 pieces because each required color balance/contrast fixes -- due to sloppy mastering work on this tape, it has many dissolves with badly mismatched color/contrast in joined scenes. After joining the 3 parts with crossfades, I noticed the results had a slightly different number of frames than I started with.

For a test I made two versions of a clip showing frame numbers. Each version has the same 509 frames (0 to 508). Clip "A" displays frame numbers in the left-middle; clip "B" placed frame numbers slightly higher, so I could tell which frames from which clip might be outta sync.

When I made crossfades with AviSynth's Dissolve(), I had to play around a bit with one or two start or end frames to maintain audio synch -- because I was joining pieces of a continuous scene with music and lip movements, rather than joining different scenes with different content.

TEMPGenc Editor has crossfade settings in 1-sec increments. I made tests for 1, 2, 3 secs, with crossfades starting at frame 240. I started crossfades at frame 240 because, after rendering to MPEG, frame 240 was key frame #0 in a GOP of 16 frames (0 to 15) in both clips. A dissolve would begin on key frames for each clip. Clip A was rendered to MPEG in TMPGenc 2.5 with frames 0 to 240 + 120 more frames for crossfades. Clip B was rendered to MPEG starting at frame 240 to the end (so Clip B's first frame was also a key frame). Thus, in TMPGenc Editor the only clip that had to have trailing frames cut off after frame 240-plus was Clip A. Clip B always began its crossfade on the same frame 240, so there was no need to cut frames from Clip B.

One would think that for crossfades starting at frame 240, Clip A would be 240 + 30 frames per second. But frame speed is actually 29.97 fps, so full frames don't compute to exactly 1, 2, or 3 secs over 30, 60, or 90 frames. I was curious to see how TMPGenc Editor handled this. Frame 240 is 8.01 secs into the clip. I made these images at about mid-dissolve point.

Test 1 (Clip A is 1 frame ahead of Clip B)
    1-sec: Clip A = 240 + 30 frames (9.01 secs)
    2-sec: Clip A = 240 + 60 frames (10.01 secs)
    3-sec: Clip A = 240 + 90 frames (11.01 secs)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Sync_Off.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	7980

test2 (frames in sync)
    1-sec: Clip A = 240 + 29 frames (8.98 secs)
    2-sec: Clip A = 240 + 59 frames (9.98 secs)
    3-sec: Clip A = 240 + 89 frames (10.98 secs)

Name:	Sync_OK.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	7981

Makes sense to me. An MPEG editor can't work with two-tenths of a frame, so it looks as if TMPGEnc chose to work with the nearest full-frame only. For those who really need to know. . .
    Last edited by sanlyn; 31st Jul 2011 at 10:29.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    When I made crossfades with AviSynth's Dissolve(), I had to play around a bit with one or two start or end frames to maintain audio synch -- because I was joining pieces of a continuous scene with music and lip movements, rather than joining different scenes with different content.
    To do a cross-fade over n frames, starting at frame 240, you would do this in Avisynth:
    Dissolve(A.Trim(0, 239+n), B.Trim(240, 0), n)

Dissolve() overlaps the last n frames of the first clip with the first n frames of the second.
    (Also, since it's measured in frames rather than secs, it is always exact.)

Just some more info to impress (or not) your party guests...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, Gavino. Done it both ways. It often takes so long on many of these segments to fix/match the colors. etc., I sometimes do this in MPEG rather than start all over again. Usually, AviSynth seems a bit cleaner if you blow up those little frames to full-screen. With this video, it's hard to tell(!)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Just Can't Get Enough Dept.:

This is one of 5 bad camera pans/motion scenes in the fire-and-smoke at end of Act2-Scene2 (there are dozens of others elsewhere, but I can't do 'em all). This mpg is from the greenish source video after AviSynth, chubbyrain2, Tweak, FFT3D, NeatVideo and lord knows what else. mpg has some leading and trailing frames so I could use MVTools on first and last frames. Smoke at the right is a simmering blob, people and clothes bubble and boil. Note the baronness in the blue cape, to the left of her is a guy in a black headdress; it flutters as if a wind was blowing.

NTSC MPEG2, Layer-2, 18.7 MB, 34 secs
    http://dc249.4shared.com/download/jCYS1t7Y/M_MotionTest01.mpg

4 hours later, after MVtools and ReplaceFramesSimple (all frames in the main shot were replaced), with NeatVideo in light sharpen-only mode (as if there were anything to sharpen!). I tried bobbing, other plugins. The more I changed stuff, the worse it looked. At least the gals in the scene don't bloat and shrink in every other frame.

NTSC MPEGS, Layer-2, 13.6 MB, 25 secs of above clip
    http://dc358.4shared.com/download/XfgCZexc/M_MotionTest3N2.mpg

The AviSynth script is attached.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by sanlyn; 3rd Aug 2011 at 07:00.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Made a few improvements from the above. Tried all kinds of stuff (MRrecalculate, DePan tools, etc., etc.), but went back to MVTools and NeatVideo -- time is just running out on this tweaking. The starting-point is still MotionTest01.mpg as above (http://dc249.4shared.com/download/jCYS1t7Y/M_MotionTest01.mpg ). Version #44 is where I have to stop and move on:

NTSC MPEGS, Layer-2, 13.4 MB, 25 secs of above clip
    http://dc415.4shared.com/download/-F3DyUtB/M_MotionTest44N.mpg . Script "W06C_C02fgb_v3amp_44N.txt" attached below.

I found that MCompensate could do a cleaner job, but there's no time. I used "good" fields and frames to get clean motion, but good fields are anywhere from 3 to 7 frames apart. I made several short clips based on connecting good frames with MCompensate, but it would take forever working on small clips for some 900 frames, then cutting the good stuff, joining together, etc. I can say I did learn something about MvTools and DePan the last two days.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by sanlyn; 6th Aug 2011 at 21:35.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Tweaking backwards since May 15th. Act 3, Act2/Scene2, Act2/Scene 1 are tweaked -- as much as they will be for the time being anyway. I see eBay has After Effects Pro Win CS3 that I could afford. Hmm. Well, onward to -- er, backward to Act One.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    After saving some nickels and pennies from a dozen PC repair jobs, I managed to land myself a copy of After Effects Pro CS3. It's a little late to use it on the current version of this project, but I have have no lack of godawful problem video to learn to use AE for whatever it can do. Gimme a few months on that. CS3 is 32-bit, but I can't foot the bill for 64 bits for a while. CS3 is so 2007, I know, but a tool is a tool.

Meanwhile, I anticipated a lot of interruptions working on this thing but I never figured on hurricanes. I'm 7 miles north of the Atlantic Ocean; the exact center of hurricane Irene is headed straight for my neighborhood. Likely I'll lose A.C. power sometime Sunday and will be off the PC for a few days. Oh, well...I needed a break. Irene isn't exactly what I had in mind, though.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Good to know you got a new toy. As you said, a tool is a tool and CS3 is quite good also.

When I watched about Irene at TV the first person who came to my mind were you. I know you live at the neighbourhood of her path. So, take care yourself. We hope that Miss Irene comes quietly and goes away soon.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you. I hear Irene is weakening (a little). But it will still be a hassle, and no doubt the power will go down. Phooey.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    A low-degree Cat 1 hurricane downgraded to tropical-storm before it left here. Could've been much worse, but we got a good 18-hour soaking and a big falling limb missed our car by 2.5 feet. Our power never went off -- but cable (tv-internet-phone) was down 32 hours. They sure know how to wreck a weekend around here.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Hey ya! Good to hear from you and know the damages was nothing, but only hard rain.

Have you seen this?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Didn't see that video, jairo (no TV for 2 days). Amazing feat, a waste of creative effort. There is wind damage everywhere here, a few trees landing on homes (no one hurt), shoreline flooding, power lost for 350,000 (possibly 7 days for some). NY City and Long Island must be lucky; it could easily have been a huge disaster. All I needed was for something to happen to all the videos or - saints forbid! -- to spouse or family. How my immediate neighborhood fared this well is a puzzle; I'm 5 direct miles north of the Atlantic, a scant 1.3 miles from cove-like Hewlett Bay, and landfall at Coney Island was a mere 21 miles west (33 km).

Whew! Back to the opera . . .
    Last edited by sanlyn; 30th Aug 2011 at 06:07.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Too Much Too Handle Right Now Dept:

Yet another godawful problem in this godawful video that can't be solved right now. I refer to the green overlay (and its buddy, a red rainbow) that runs along the top quarter of cassette #2. In some scenes I've managed to subdue it. But it's of a nature that no filter will see it as noise; it looks like just another ugly thingie on the tape. It'll take some trickly masking and overlays to fix. And time.

The two pics below are: (Left) From the original source DVD, untouched and in all its, uh, glory. (Right) After first run with AviSynth/Tweak/ColorYUV, chubbyrain2/cnr2 (2 passes), NeatVideo.

Name:	f131338_orig_AVS.jpg
Views:	694
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	8488

The scene is too red, and too faded and soft for much more fiddling. In the right-hand pic you can see over the guy's head an orange remnant of one of the flashing spots or bubbles that streak the across the top several times in many scenes. MVTools helped clean some frames, but couldn't fix them all. In the 7-second clip below, most of the sparkles are about mid-clip.

NTSC MPEG2 Layer-2, 7 secs. 4-GB
    http://dc416.4shared.com/download/lFs4JMKD/N1_W05B_B01Kx_pops.mpg

When taming the red and trying to get some color depth into this image, the Bad Greenie along the top becomes prominent (as usual). Below, in the left-hand shot you see it as a different hue along the top. As red is subdued and a little saturation is applied, Greenie comes alive in middle and right images.

Name:	F140_before_after.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	8489

It's actually a dropoff of red and a steeper drop of blue. Greenie sometimes fades, but always arrives and leaves in a series of slow fades on and off. As this 7-second clip begins, Greenie haunts only the even fields; by the end of the scene its only in the odd fields. On top of that it keeps changing hue and general location, but very slooowly. No single mask or overlay could fix it, but I have some ideas to use in AE. Later. The MPEG is a bit bright to make Greenie more prominent.

NTSC MPEG2 Layer-2, 7 secs. 4-GB
    http://dc349.4shared.com/download/Ul9rp9Qi/N1_W05B_B01Kx_MV.mpg
    Last edited by sanlyn; 2nd Sep 2011 at 16:38. Reason: the usual typos
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I've somehow managed to trek my way thru all 2hrs 56 minutes of this opera. It's still cut up into more than 300 segments, so it'll take a while to join them onto 2 DVD's. So...this will be Version 1 (what? He hasn't had enough angst yet?). Made many mistakes, tweaked some of them away, learned much. Some scenes still have color problems, some bad frames could run smoother, some sections had too much filtering or too many colorspace changes. Over time, I'll apply what's been learned and catch up with some newer software, to make Version 2.

The more one works with this accursed video, the more one learns. A unique and invaluable experience. I hate to make the OP wait forever, so I'll package Version 1 over the next few weeks and send it off. It still looks awful, but with the help of those who participated in this thread it does look better (I know. That's still not good enough. I agree). There's only so much that can be done with a 352x480 VHS capture at a stingy 2500 bitrate, and one would stand back and gasp with horror when that little frame gets blown up on a 1080i HDTV. But again , many thanks for all the help received.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 31st Oct 2011 at 09:31.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    I hate to make the OP wait forever, so I'll package Version 1 over the next few weeks and send it off.
    Wow! So, are you saying that we would expect Version 1 before Christmas? Great news!

And how (or where) will you send it off? Megaupload?

Wonderful news!
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'll burn to 2 DVD's and send 'em snail mail. It's about 6-GB altogether. Still have to join, author and make menus. I've also converted the original Chinese DVD with indexes that actually work (1 disc). Will correlate old and new menus (the same chapter titles for both). Likely, around/before Christmas. This will keep me busy with TMPGenc Editor v3 and TMPGEnc Author for a while. Also a disc of "intermediate" scenes to show what they looked like before further work, but not the whole thing, maybe 1/2 half or so. I had to make those clips anyway ("The Worst Of The Worst"). Wish I had more time, but you'll be able to audition what's been done so far. Maybe I can also copy some of the scripts to disc, though many are just different versions of the same thing.

That should keep you busy for several weeks.
    Quote Quote