VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Sorry if this is the wrong section for this, I couldn't find a definite fit.

I'm looking for a good VPN to run on my Mac (PPC), which is running OS 10.5 (Leopard). I am fine with a paid service, and realize my options may be limited because my OS isn't new and cutting edge, but are there are any good VPNs compatible with my system? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: So I'm seeing stuff like OpenVPN and L2TP that are supposedly compatible with my OS, but I can't seem to find out for sure if they are the same sort of animal is something like Private Internet Access, which is closer to what I am looking for.
    Last edited by TKCrossdive; 2nd May 2016 at 19:05.
    Quote Quote  
  2. If your os desktop of choice doesn't have any built in vpn capabilities (windows has since win95), in any case you need to be looking at router firmware that supports it, and in that way your entire network of any type of machine(s) is able to utilize the vpn.

There are a number of companies that have developed vpn firmware that runs on several routers, I've been running Asus h/w with Sabai Technologies firmware for over 10 years; google them up and take a look, they sell many different low and high end systems, supporting pptp, openvpn, even tor. Take a look and you may get some ideas.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved to the mac forum where you can get more help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    So my OS might come with VPN capabilities built in? How do I utilize them? Will it give me the sort of safety coverage a VPN service would?

Sorry, I'm only moderately tech savvy and VPN's are pretty foreign to me.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It's been 30 years since I even touched a mac, but there has to be something in the networking, where the ip and the rest of the networking is set. There has to be something in documentation or on the internet showing just how to set things.

But I really recommend doing vpn through your router; that way everything on your network, including your wifi enabled cell phone, roku box, internet enabled dvr and smart tv, all can utilize the vpn, not just a single computer; and if that computer crashes, when it comes back on-line, the vpn will still be 'live' on the router, and won't require manual 're-start' of things.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TKCrossdive, be advised that there are two components to a VPN: The software that enables the VPN service (on your devices) and the VPN service provider (the other end of the VPN tunnel; the server(s) your VPN connects to, as intermediate to the rest of the 'net). The latter service may often be acquired via subscription (i.e. a monthly fee). You'll need both to make it work.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The op said that in the original post.

There are a good dozen commercial vpn providers out there, with tons of out portals all over the planet, at a variety of prices.

In recent years, the biggest change has been TOR, which is free, and useful if one only wants to use it for web browsing, email, and the like, not for heavy up/down loads. The Sabai company I mentioned was one of the first to make TOR router s/w.

I use a company headquartered in SF, with out ports just about everywhere. Costs $15/month, and has virtually unlimited bandwidth (I haven't hit any limit at 100mb/s line). But I use it for commercial purposes.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Hey guys, sorry to pull this thread up again. I was just wondering if anyone could explain this link to me:

https://www.publicvpn.com/support/MacOSX105.php

Is this a how to for turning my computer into a VPN server others can use, or is it for providing me personal privacy and security the way one of those paid services for newer Operating Systems do?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Torguard is a good VPN for Mac, server connections all over the world and works fine with Mac Os's, reasonable price per month.

https://torguard.net/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=33
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TKCrossdive View Post
    https://www.publicvpn.com/support/MacOSX105.php
    Is this a how to for turning my computer into a VPN server others can use, or is it for providing me personal privacy and security the way one of those paid services for newer Operating Systems do?
    That is the guide for end users to set up the use of PublicVPN.com VPN service, use extra settings in the standard OS software. They are one of the paid service providers that could give you “personal privacy and security”, as you put it.
    You are not running a VPN server with just that.
    Quote Quote