VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I always have worked with Magix Video Deluxe and now I want to buy new software.
    What is the best software for editing an why?

Peter, Belgium.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It would depend on how much and what kind of editing, along with the formats you plan to use and somewhat on how much you want to spend. I still use VirtualDub Mod for most AVI editing, because it's versatile and I normally just do cuts and pastes.

For MPEG, I use MPEG Video Wizard. I never had a need for a higher end editor like Adobe Premiere Pro.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    my input source is from sony dvd cam and the output must by dvd.
    Money is not importend but the software must by easy of use.
    Is Premiere Pro ore Veagas easy to learn.

Peter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by PeterK
    Hi,
    my input source is from sony dvd cam and the output must by dvd.
    Money is not importend but the software must by easy of use.

Peter.
    For easy to learn get the consumer versions of those programs. The full versions take years to master.

Adobe Premiere Elements
    Sony Vegas Movie Studio
    ULead Video Studio or Ulead Movie Factory

Verify the version is compatible with DVD camcorders.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How about Media Studio Pro 8? have you try it? i think it's like premiere(?), but much user friendly.
    Sorry about my english, i know a lot of ulead/media studio pro and maybe premiere, but in Indonesian.can you?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Soes
    How about Media Studio Pro 8? have you try it? i think it's like premiere(?), but much user friendly.
    Sorry about my english, i know a lot of ulead/media studio pro and maybe premiere, but in Indonesian.can you?
    Media Studio Pro is targeted at the more serious user. It is a step up from the entry products and not intended for those wanting "ease of use" as first priority. I think one should first master an entry program or three and then discover the limitations of each. It is only then that an experienced user can pick the "advanced" program that best fits his desired work flow.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What do you think about Pinnacle studio 11?

Peter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What do you think about Pinnacle studio 11?

Peter.
    Pinnacle Studio has a reputation for unreliability and unfixed bugs. Before buying it, check their forums for current lynch mob issues.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by PeterK
    Hi,

If you already have some understanding of the underlying concepts of video editing, I bet you could pick up either Vegas or Premiere Pro without too much pain. To an extent, if you're not even the least bit familiar with any of the programs already mentioned, you'll probably be in for some homework no matter how "easy" others say a program is to use.

I do agree with edDV that it does take a lot of time and effort to master any good editing program, but at the same time I don't think that one need "master" a program in order to find it works very well for what they need to do. I can guarantee that I'll never "master" MS Word, but I still use it to type letters!

Also I lean towards the idea that there's not really a need to "work your way up" to using certain programs -- if you ever intend to do really serious editing, there's no reason to put off learning how to use Vegas or Premiere Pro. Yes definitely other programs work great, but all software has its own quirks and "style" of use, and you can't translate learning how to use one program, necessarily, into using another.

Put another way: I would check out the demo versions of pretty much all the video editors you can find, and see whether there's anything about one (or more) of them that makes you go, "I like this, I would like to learn more." That's the program for you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To emphasize the opposite view I think the into programs allow you some early success and help you to understand the process which isn't always intuitive. A basic understanding of the process helps you get off square one with the advanced programs.

I think discovering what is common and different between say Premiere Elements and ULead Video Studio helps you understand the goals of Premiere Pro and Vegas.

Consumer versions limit choice in order to focus you to a result. When you feel constrained and want to do more, you will then understand the unfocused nature of Premiere Pro and Vegas.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by edDV
    To emphasize the opposite view I think the into programs allow you some early success and help you to understand the process which isn't always intuitive.
    Well, I wouldn't quite say it's the opposite view ... ... just being yin to my yang, so to speak.

I do agree with your main point, edDV, but -- and maybe I'm assuming too much here -- I saw that he's already using Magix Video Deluxe. And that program does allow for timelines and "design flow" choices that -- I think -- if he's got that down, then he already has an working understanding of the "constraints" of less-full-featured editors, and it's not such a big step to go to Premiere Pro or Vegas.

And -- very importantly to me -- each of these "step" programs costs more money that I don't want to spend! :P
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I agree. The choice is bunny hill (ski analogy) vs. KT22 black diamond.

It took me a couple of years to understand Premiere and I aleady knew pro online editing. Avid, Premiere and Vegas evolved tied to the outer limits of PC technology. It was always an 80/20 technical issue to get them to work as advertised.

Now the PC has the power to run these programs with relative ease. Consumer camcorders today match broadcast models of 10 years ago. This makes these programs practical and affordable to average joe but the operational learning curve is still steep without classroom training or DVD tutorials.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    thanks for the support.

I think of buying Vegas, is this a good choice?

Peter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    thanks for the support.

I think of buying Vegas, is this a good choice?

Peter.
    It's done well for me for years (ever since 4.0). It's like driving a Ferrari: it'll get you to the corner store just as easily as a Honda, but it's got power under the hood for when you're ready to blow everyone off the road.
    Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Vegas rules for the one man band video guy.

AVID and Premiere Pro are used when you need to fit into a structured work flow. A cog in the wheel analogy.

Apple's Final Cut Pro can be seen either way. It's more of a MAC religious conversion or cult thing.
    Quote Quote