VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone!

Just wanted to archive every VHS that my parents have.
    I started reading anything on this forum and I got some equipment already but I was stuck at a couple of things.

So from my VCR it outputs to my AV2HDMI (MINI) Upscaler, which I had before starting this.
    And from what I've read its not good for quality because the upscaler does some nasty stuff inside.
    But the problem is that I need the HDMI out because my Capture Card which is (Razer Ripsaw HD)
    Has only HDMI input, so this is my problem currently.

What should I do?

About the software I use OBS with resolution of 352x480 25FPS PAL which I read is the best for VHS.
    I use OBS because It uses the NVENC encoder from my RTX 2060 gpu which from what I heard can really help in getting the best out of the VHS or anything at all..

Please correct me where I'm wrong. I really want to get the best quality from the VHS... because these stuff are old and I'm afraid they will stop working one day.
    And what can I do about the RCA TO HDMI? Is there any special boxes that dont upscale it?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DANI3L View Post
    But the problem is that I need the HDMI out because my Capture Card which is (Razer Ripsaw HD)

About the software I use OBS with resolution of 352x480 25FPS PAL which I read is the best for VHS.
    First: Don't use OBS. Capture with VirtualDub2. (Personally I capture 768x576i25 PAL)
    About your capture card: It's a gaming capture card, if I've read correctly. Those aren't designed for capturing old video tapes.
    Additionally you will need a TBC, as it stabilizes the picture. A crude TBC have the older Panasonic DVD recorders from circa 2005 (e.g. DMR-EH52, DMR-ES10, DMR-ES15...)
    You can get them cheap on eBay.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by phelissimo_ View Post

First: Don't use OBS. Capture with VirtualDub2. (Personally I capture 768x576i25 PAL)
    About your capture card: It's a gaming capture card, if I've read correctly. Those aren't designed for capturing old video tapes.
    Additionally you will need a TBC, as it stabilizes the picture. A crude TBC have the older Panasonic DVD recorders from circa 2005 (e.g. DMR-EH52, DMR-ES10, DMR-ES15...)
    You can get them cheap on eBay.
    Ok I installed VirtualDub2
    About the TBC, I already have a VCR, Shouldn't I just buy an Elgato RCA TO USB Capture Card? Or something similar?
    Or I do have to get this TBC, and even after I buy that TBC how do I capture that?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Shouldn't I just buy an Elgato RCA TO USB Capture Card? Or something similar?
    No, because a TBC stabilizes the picture of the VCR.
    The signal coming out of the player is not so stable like the output of a game console or a graphics card.
    It has inconsistencies like jitter, wobbling etc... The TBC fixes this.

after I buy that TBC how do I capture that?
    Just connect the output of the TBC to the capture card. You only pass the signal through the TBC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Forget HDMI and converters if you want to capture VHS, HDMI wants to handshake, which you have little or no control over, or sometimes HDCP kicks in, legit or for no reason.
    You can save yourself a lot of trouble by capturing from component video output, this can be done with an ES10/ES15, or ES35V the ES10/ES15 you use as passthrough,
    composite or s-video is the most common way to capture but it is also the worst one, there are a lot of junk capture dongles like EZCAP these are bad copies, the original EZCAP is hard to find.
    the setup through component needs no TBC,(my ES35V works like a charm with IS from BMD - MacOS Sierra/Catalina) a TBC is a costly device if you can even find the right one, most of these are dumped pro equipment, any good consumer model is hard to find because lots are unusable.
    A crude TBC is no TBC, but if it works ....it works, the ES35V has also no TBC.
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 13th Jan 2021 at 17:32.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by DANI3L View Post
    Hello everyone!

Just wanted to archive every VHS that my parents have.
    I started reading anything on this forum and I got some equipment already but I was stuck at a couple of things.

So from my VCR it outputs to my AV2HDMI (MINI) Upscaler, which I had before starting this.
    And from what I've read its not good for quality because the upscaler does some nasty stuff inside.

What should I do?

I use OBS because It uses the NVENC encoder from my RTX 2060 gpu which from what I heard can really help in getting the best out of the VHS or anything at all..

Please correct me where I'm wrong. I really want to get the best quality from the VHS... because these stuff are old and I'm afraid they will stop working one day.
    And what can I do about the RCA TO HDMI? Is there any special boxes that dont upscale it?
    I'm a newbie trying to digitize my old VHS home movies.
    Sounds like you're light years ahead of me.
    So far I'm finding this forum as useless as tits on a bull.
    I made a post and so far the responses I've gotten are way too
    techie for me to understand, and also pointing me to virtual dub.
    I've already started learning obs so that's what I'm sticking with.
    This video has REALLY helped me out, YMMV:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC5Zr3NC2PY&t=734s
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
    How so?

I made a post and so far the responses I've gotten are way too techie for me to understand, and also pointing me to virtual dub.
    Huh? The main response you've been getting is to STOP USING OBS!

That's a really bad/dumb reason. You're using the wrong tool. You're insisting on hitting nails with a screwdriver, or banging screws with a hammer.

That guy is an idiot that doesn't understand video. All you're doing is butchering the quality. May as well not even bother converting it. Those little HDMI adapter doodads were not made for converting video.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank Discs • Best TBCs • Best VCRs for capture • Restore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    How so?
    Case in point.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Case in point.
    If the help is too techy for you then how is this forum is useless? Maybe you should start to learn the techy stuff, last time I checked every bit of the process of capturing video is techy. Hire someone who can do it for you so you don't have to get technical.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
    Given what you've said in your posts, you should spend a little money and get a service to do the transfer for you. I say that because this forum is really NOT that technical which means if you are finding it too technical, then the process of transferring the tapes is probably not going to be something you can do on your own. Perhaps you have a friend or neighbor who can help you out?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    Given what you've said in your posts, you should spend a little money and get a service to do the transfer for you. I say that because this forum is really NOT that technical which means if you are finding it too technical, then the process of transferring the tapes is probably not going to be something you can do on your own. Perhaps you have a friend or neighbor who can help you out?
    That would be true if it was as simple as connecting the stuff, and pushing some buttons, yes, the neighbor could handle that too, but like the OP said, VirtualDub has a bit of a steep learning curve, OBS is not a capture app i believe, it will have effect on the quality, but if this is what the OP will satisfy, who is there to argue about that ? mission accomplished ! not all the ideal scenarious can be executed with the hardware/software anybody has...

btw... i now see some posters should have started their own thread(s) because this thread is a collection from first time users, judging by membership date, each setup needs special attention, because of differences in equipment and software that is used.
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 16th Jan 2021 at 15:24.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Case in point.
    If the help is too techy for you then how is this forum is useless? Maybe you should start to learn the techy stuff, last time I checked every bit of the process of capturing video is techy. Hire someone who can do it for you so you don't have to get technical.
    There are certain folks currently in this world that pride themselves in being uneducated stubborn ignoramuses. This is apparently one of them.

It reminds me a tech support call (real) joke in the late 90s, where the person does some really stupid stuff with the new computer, and calls support all bitchy and pissy. The tech finally told her of the "easiest method" to fix her problem: put the computer back in the original box, and return it to the store, because she was too stupid to own a computer. This situation reminds me of that joke.

There's nothing wrong with admitting that you don't understand something, and that paying a professional is the best approach. Nobody can DIY everything. And certain DIY, like video, are not a simple task, but rather an adoption of a new hobby (even if temporary). Time and funds will need to be invested, and inability (or unwillingness) to do so means that video conversion is a non-starter for you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ouch ! if i hear the word "professional" i think of somebody that both is good at it and can make a living of it, the last part, i don't believe... one can not make a profit of conversing analog to digital, the people that really can make a profit of it do this in a unconventional way, and will not deliver the quality, that the "hobby guy" does with the equipment he collected over the years, and the collected experience over those years, and with different equipment, one has different experiences, and it's hard to make something out of that, for somebody with a different setup, most of the time a newbee does not know the specs of it's own equipment, and even needs to study this even before buying anything, so that's also the famous egg chicken situation.
    There's also a good-luck factor, getting the right devices, like VCR's capture device, TBC, or passthrough.
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 16th Jan 2021 at 16:56.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Just use a VHS/DVD recorder and hand your parents a stack of DVD-R's.
    If your apple didn't fall too far from their tree, everything should be perfectly acceptable to them.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Eric-jan View Post
    That would be true if it was as simple as connecting the stuff, and pushing some buttons, yes, the neighbor could handle that too, but like the OP said, VirtualDub has a bit of a steep learning curve ...
    One reason VirtualDub is so popular and used by so many people is that it is extremely easy to both learn and use. It has the least steep learning curve of any video program I can think of. Try using any full-featured NLE (e.g., Adobe Premiere), or effects package (e.g., After Effects) and you'll find out what a steep learning curve looks like.

I actually cannot think of any video program that is simpler than VirtualDub.

Now, if you were trying to learn AVISynth, I'd be in total agreement. Great program, but quite intimidating to get into.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Eric-jan View Post
    if i hear the word "professional" i think of somebody that both is good at it and can make a living of it,
    Correct.
    However, some "professionals" need to get into a difference career. No skill.

one can not make a profit of conversing analog to digital,
    Not true. But you won't make a go of it by just converting videos of kids playing T-ball and dance recitals. Overall, that's a very minor aspect of conversion.

There's also a good-luck factor, getting the right devices, like VCR's capture device, TBC, or passthrough.
    Luck/gambling is only involved when you play the eBay slot machine. Most businesses prefer to buy gear from more reputable sources.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Originally Posted by Eric-jan View Post
    if i hear the word "professional" i think of somebody that both is good at it and can make a living of it,
    Correct.
    However, some "professionals" need to get into a difference career. No skill.

one can not make a profit of conversing analog to digital,
    Not true. But you won't make a go of it by just converting videos of kids playing T-ball and dance recitals. Overall, that's a very minor aspect of conversion.

Luck/gambling is only involved when you play the eBay slot machine. Most businesses prefer to buy gear from more reputable sources.
    By my knowledge they don't make any good consumer capture cards/devices or VHS vcr's any more, for one that wants to go and make analog video transfers it's hard to find out what a "reputable source" might be.
    The reputable sources do have good equipment, but at a price (well worth it) that is too high for one that "only" wants to transer to digital, so there's a big dilemma, that is bouncing in between it all.
    I still believe a semi pro capture device is the solution, because one can use a good OS with equally good hardware, but on the other side, just any VCR will not do the trick,
    and experimenting with with additions depends on what's available and will work, eBay or alixpress are indeed no solution to the problem

the cheapest way for the OP to "just" archive every VHS tape his parents have, is to find a DVD recorder at a local thriftstore, and hook it up to the VCR and copy the tapes one on one to DVD's or transfer those MPEG2 files (merged) to a usb stick, using the one hour mode on the DVD recorder will still preserve some quality.
    quality may not be optimal, but it's easy to do, but no other equipment or energy is needed. (i just name this as an option, not for the perfect solution)
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 17th Jan 2021 at 06:11.
    Quote Quote