VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello folks.

Sometimes I will use my Canon Vixia HV30 as a VHS archiving device. These archives I like to dump to my computer for long-term storage. However, the programs I use -- HDV Split and WinDV in Windows 10 -- are failing me.

1. HDV Split will capture HD footage, but it craps out when I try to introduce a mini-DV cassette with a standard-def, VHS recording on it.

2. I'd try WinDV, but it craps out on me no matter what I'm trying to capture, even HD footage. (I keep getting the error message, "Can't find DV output pin".)

Is Adobe Premiere a solution for this? I have a Mac running Catalina (as an alternative platform), but that will no longer recognize firewire, even through a thunderbolt adaptor.

Anyway, thanks folks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You haven't indicated whether you are changing the output on your camera from HDV to DV manually or automatically. You should always do it manually before plugging the DV cable into your computer. WinDV only captures standard def, HDV split only captures HDV. Premiere can capture both DV and HDV, but the same rules about manually setting your camera apply.

You used to have to use both a FW400-800 adapter and a FW800-Thunderbolt adapter to get it to work on a mac. I do not not know if this is still true as there have been several iterations of thunderbolt since I last used it.
    Last edited by smrpix; 4th Oct 2020 at 15:02.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hdvsplit is only for HDV. minidv do what smrpix said always have the cam in forced dv output mode first, and you can also try ScenalyzerLive - another dvavi capture program.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay... thank you. I'll refer to the manual about changing the camera's output.

When I used to use iMovie, I didn't have these issues. But, every version after v9 no longer "sees" my camera.

Thanks folks!
    Quote Quote  
  5. The program you want to use is SCLive, also sometimes called Scenalyzer. Andi, the author, put it in the public domain when the demand for capturing DV tapes ramped down.

www.scenalyzer.com

While your camcorder will automatically switch between DV and HDV, if it presents itself to your computer as HDV, Scenalyzer (or any other DV capture utility or app) will not connect. Thus, to make things work properly you either need to force the camera into DV mode, if that can be done, or you need to start playing a DV tape before you open Scenalyzer.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Guys, thank you. I installed Scenalyzer, and it's working just as I need it to.

I love this site and these fora. I only wish I could help as much as I've been helped.

I'm going to have questions about capturing digital-8 footage soon, since that's the next thing I need to do.

Thanks guys!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Digital 8 is no different than DV, The signal is exactly the same AVI DV, the only difference is the tape stored in.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Although the interface is different -- at least in my experience it is. I don't know any D-8 cameras with FW800 out? They have FW400, which means I'll need to get a FW400 card, probably on eBay, and hope it works??
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    All D8 cameras and all (consumer) DV or HDV cameras, are FW400. 800<-->400 adapters exist, and SHOULD work, but don't always.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the adaptors are not too expensive, I shall look into that.

Thanks much!

I am FINALLY starting to archive very nostalgic video from over the past 15 years. You guys are awesome.
    Quote Quote