VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using 'Tsunami MPEG DVD Author' for a long time now on my Windows XP computer which is probably on its last legs,and I would be content to continue using it, but apparently, Tsunami MPEG DVD Author is not compatible with the Windows 7 on my new computer.

What would be a good replacement? I need to be able to add chapters and create very basic menus. I do need editing capability, but I think that I don't need anything really fancy, basically just the ability to cut out bits and pieces here and there as is possible in the old Tsunami MPEG DVD Author.

I perused the list of authoring software, and I saw the newer TMPGEnc Authoring Works, which I'm sure would work for me, but is there anything a bit less expensive, say around $50 or so? What about Pinnacle Studio? Or maybe Roxio, either Creator NXT or My DVD?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Since you already own an early Pegasus software, the new product is only $80. Few editing and encoding apps can smart render encoded edits as cleanly as TMPGenc.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    PowerDirector 16 Ultimate costs around $50 if you download from Cyberlink and use their coupon, but I suggest you try before you buy, since it may be very different from what you are used to.

However, in your place, I would try TMPGEnc Authoring Works first to see how similar it is to Tsunami MPEG DVD Author. If it seems familiar and comfortable, that may make it worth the extra money.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Why do you say TMPGEnc DVD Author doesn't work on Windows 7? I just tested v1.6 in a VM running Windows 7 64 bits and it seems to work fine.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use tmpeg video mastering works, but for simple stuff with a menu, chapters (markers only) and subs I use avs2dvd. Worth a try as the later is free. If you want chapter menus then it may not be for you. DVD flick is a bit too buggy for my uses but may work for you as well
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ibzomie View Post
    I've been using 'Tsunami MPEG DVD Author' for a long time now on my Windows XP computer which is probably on its last legs,and I would be content to continue using it, but apparently, Tsunami MPEG DVD Author is not compatible with the Windows 7 on my new computer.
    What error do you get when you install it on Windows 7?

Because I even have the old versions 1.5 and 1.6 of TMPGEnc DVD Author installed and working on a Windows 7 machine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Easy to set that up for compatibility mode, or at worst to use a VM or dual boot.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Version 1.6 still works for me in Windows 10.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Works fine on my Win 7....no need to worry about compatibility mode or anything.
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ibzomie View Post
    ...apparently, Tsunami MPEG DVD Author is not compatible with the Windows 7 on my new computer...
    Could I ask what makes you say that? Will the software not install, or will it install but not run? If it won't run, have you considered using a compatibility setting on the .exe file that starts the program up?
    Quote Quote  
  11. I need to be able to add chapters and create very basic menus. I do need editing capability, but I think that I don't need anything really fancy, basically just the ability to cut out bits and pieces here and there
    DVDStyler has

- Flexible menu design
    - Visual Cutter
    - Joining by "Add File as chapter" (or using title post command)
    - Visual Chapter Editor
    - Choosing between "Chapter selection" or "Title selection" for templates

And it's free.
    Quote Quote