VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Setup - I have two android devices. A set top box (quad core with a Mali-450 GPU) and a google nexus tablet.

I have about 3,500 films that I have encoded in an MP4 container using vidcoder. Basically a decades worth of video capping off cable tv. In Mediainfo the video codec shows as h.264 AVC, Main@L3.0 profile. The video codec shows as MP3, variable bit rate, sampled at 48Khz. These play fine on both my desktop PCs (Vista and Windows 10 using VLC), my laptop (Windows 7 using VLC), my WD Live, my WD Live Hub, and the Plex client on my TV.

Under Kodi (Jarvis 16.2) on either the android tablet or the android desktop they won't play. I get very badly pixellated video and no sound. The same problem exists using an older android XBMC build and the newer SPMC Kodi variant.

I would like to get them to work in Kodi, as Kodi does a brilliant job of sorting them and adding all the fanart etc. Given the number of films, I'm not keen on reencoding!

Looking for any suggestions as to how I might get these to play in Kodi.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I have a Raspberry Pi running Kodi and haven't seen such problems (though MP4 files are a minority of my library). If you have a small sample I'll take a look at it here.

From your description I don't see any obvious reason Kodi would have issues with your videos but I would try remuxing to MP4 and MKV with different muxers.

Does the problem happen with all your MP4 files or only particular ones?

<edit>
    I just tested several mp4 files with AVC video, SD and HD, ranging from High@3.2 to High@5.2 and none of them had any problems on the RPi.
    </edit>
    Last edited by jagabo; 26th Sep 2016 at 08:40.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry about kodi
    I use mxplayer on my Android devices
    But I don't have 3500 videos with fan art etc..
    Quote Quote  
  4. Kodi supported formats list as below:
    Container formats: AVI, MPEG, WMV, ASF, FLV, MKV/MKA (Matroska), QuickTime, MP4, M4A, AAC, Ogg, OGM, RealMedia RAM/RM/RV/RA/RMVB, 3gp
    Video formats: MPEG-1, MPEG-2, H.263, MPEG-4 SP and ASP, MPEG-4 AVC (H.264), H.265 (as from Kodi 14) HuffYUV, MJPEG, RealVideo, RMVB, WMV
    Audio formats: MIDI, AIFF, WAV/WAVE, AIFF, MP2, MP3, AAC, DTS, ALAC, AMR, FLAC, RealAudio, WMA
    3D video formats: Passive 3D video formats such as SBS, TAB, anaglyph or interlaced.
    MP4 can be played in Kodi on Android, maybe the codec of the MP4 is not compatible, change it to H.264 or H.265 to see if it is work.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I tried updating my mxq box to Kodi 17 via play store and it says"this version is incompatible with this device"...then I try the other ways and once it finish downloading it says some type of parsing error. Can anyone help me with this issue?
    The roots for mistaking routers and modems for being the same device lay in the fact that today, it’s the easiest thing possible to buy a combo. Click here for more info.
    Quote Quote