VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hi, i've got thie 2:39 concert on my computer and i'D like to encode it onto a dual layer dvd to have the best possible quality.
    the file is an mp4 with h.264 encoding

how can i do this with ffmpegx?
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I assume you're going for MPEG-2 DVD-Video then. Note that transcoding always affects quality, so your source file's quality may not be matched through a magnifying lens.

Dual layer will hold about 7.92 GB = 8110 MB.
    The Bitrate Calculator then tells us that for that file size, and say 160 minutes, you may have an average video bitrate of 6561 kbps.
    The number will appear in blue, saying that such a bitrate is more than it actually needs for good quality video.
    For 'best possible quality', you may set the Qmin from 3 to 2 for slightly better video at the cost of higher bitrates at peaks when needed/ when it can.
    You may notice that the output is possibly a bit smaller than 8110 MB. This means that the encoder didn't need all of the high bitrate to encode in the best possible quality. If it needs a certain amount of bytes to describe a scene best, then there is no use in wasting more bytes.

Set Autosize to 'DVD 16:9' for widescreen content.
    Check 'Set 3:2' for 23.976 fps content.
    Quote Quote