VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I'm currently working in Premiere CS5.5 on a series of videos at 24fps that require lots of stock clips that have different framerates.

Usually, if a clip looks smooth in the timeline, I leave it as it is. If it's juddery, I intepret it as 24fps.

90% of the time that works, but I often get problem clips, usually 5/100 in an 8 minute video.

The last or second to last frames will hang or skip forward and back, or every fifth frame will be a duplicate etc.

Is this just the nature of forcing clips into a 24fps timeline or is there a surefire way to get a locked 24fps? Is it something that's fixed in later versions of Premiere?

I've tried rendering the clips separately a few ways, eg. putting a 25fps clip in a 25fps timeline and rendering to 24fps, and interpreting a 25fps clip as 24fps and rendering to 24fps... sometimes that works, sometimes not.
    Quote Quote  
  2. It depends what the cause of the "juddery" is in the first place . Then you fix the actual problem.

The examples you gave sound more like source issues

eg. When every 5th frame is a duplicate, you should decimate the duplicate, then it will become a 23.976p clip, and that will interpret to 24.0p perfectly

The skipping back and forth might be a decoding issue with long GOP . Try encoding it to an I-frame format then re-importing , then interpreting (or you can fix it before importing).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I'll post some examples once I've recovered from this edit! I spent 3 hours at the end going through ironing out the framerate.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    What have you selected for Time Interpolation?
    Quote Quote