VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone,

I am going out of my mind trying to trim extremely long 4K MOV files that were shot on the Lumix S5. Some files are up to 30 minutes long with only a minute or two of content that needs keeping. In terms of media management, I need to trim the clips without loss or re-encoding.

Lossless Cut seemed too good to be true, and the resulting clips seem to be the correct size in terms of data - for example if I cut half of a 20GB file the resulting file is the expected 10GB. BUT the new clip won't import into Premiere Pro. Only audio comes in. Furthermore, if I try to play it in VLC it is also audio only, with the warning 'VLC could not decode the format "aivx" (No description for this codec)'.

I can't get my head around why there is a codec issue if there is no re-encoding and the original file plays fine in both Prem and VLC. I also tried Shutter Encoder and the result is exactly the same. Despite digging for information it doesn't seem to be a reported issue by anybody else. I see tutorial videos of people splitting their files and playing them back no problem, so is this something specific to the format of Lumix S5 files?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Simon
    Quote Quote  
  2. What does MediaInfo say (text mode output) about the source and the trimmed file? You might be able to remux the trimmed file with ffmpeg and the "-vtag avc1" option (changes the video codec id from avix to avc1). Can you provide a small sample of the source and a trimmed video?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Jagabo - thanks for replying!

About five minutes ago I gave up on Lossless Cut and tried Avidemux, and found success

So I will ditch Lossless Cut. But thank you again for chiming in. I may well go with your advice anyway just out of curiosity.
    Quote Quote