VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. http://www.mvixusa.com/shop/mvixmultimediaplayer-p-39.html?osCsid=2bb96f28567f5a84428520827897b3f9

I heard about this and am kinda excited but its not out yet. Wondering what the pros think..?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    not bad but my media centre is my xbox with xbox media centre loaded onto it and a larger hdd. plays everything. can even use to to make a dvd (movie) jukebox and never swap dvd disc's again in a player.
    Quote Quote  
  3. ive been looking at these things, although i didn't see anything specifically mentioned on THAT particular website, i read that it automatically upscales the video to high def if it's connected to a high def tv, which is nice..........the main thing that kills the xbox is this..portability....its a heck of a lot easier to carry around than lugging an xbox system everywhere you wanna go with it....one could chalk one of those things full (heck dont even bother with the 300gb max that they offer on that website, go elsewhere and buy yourself a 500gb drive or something) and just watch movies, listen to music, ect.....it would make for a heck of a nice replacement to a set top dvd player, too...being that it's a lot smaller than most dvd players, and you would never have to swap a disc again.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It looks to me to be Ideal for:

Making a collection of stuff (DVD Rips, Family Photos, and so on) that my Father can view on his own TV, or take with him when he travels.

However, I can't make out what the buttons are on the Remote, and I don't know (yet) if the on-screen (TV) interface will be easy enough for my father to navagate.

Also, I don't know if it takes an IDE or SATA drive.

EDIT:
    About the X-Box Media Center...
    Last time I tried to find a pre-modded X-Box, or even a mod chip for them, it was a no-go.
    From what I understand, M$ has been really cracking down on the mod chip makers, but I don't want to drive this post off-topic.
    If any of you know where I can get a pre-modded X-Box or even a "do it yourself kit", please PM me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Joe The Dude
    About the X-Box Media Center...
    Last time I tried to find a pre-modded X-Box, or even a mod chip for them, it was a no-go.
    From what I understand, M$ has been really cracking down on the mod chip makers, but I don't want to drive this post off-topic.
    If any of you know where I can get a pre-modded X-Box or even a "do it yourself kit", please PM me.
    easy done. check your pm's
    Quote Quote  
  6. Looks interesting. Wish you could see what's inside. Easy way to avoid having to use some sort of complicated streaming network solution.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Love my Mvix 4000U!

It is about time that somebody got the idea - a simple way to transfer movies, pictures and music from my computer to the television or stereo system. I wonder what took so long.

This baby is small and easily moved around. It hooks up easy and downloading is a snap . Service response time is has been better than good and the fellas are standing behind these with ample advice when needed.

For me, this made more sense than purchasing a projector, especially money-wise. I know there are dozens of different movie formats out there but it’s about time someone puts together a machine that is like a computer - I honestly don’t think in this day and age we should have to worry what format they come in. And looking at those computer movies on a large screen television is like seeing them again for the first time.

About the only complaint is the tiny remote, you have to focus to be sure you press just one key at a time. I didn’t realize what my problems were at first - I thought my remote was not working when in fact I was pressing more than one key at a time with my fat fingers.
    Quote Quote  
  8. too bad there isn't any support (yet) for lossless audio formats, such as .flac. That would be awesome.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    just purchased one of these Mvix 4000U units...hopefully I'll get it by this weekend, and can test it out. Looks VERY promising! I'm gonna throw all I have at it (MPGs(1 and 2...), AVIs, VOBs, Divx, etc...), and see what happens
    just a thought

mastersmurfie
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wondering if the unit will play MPEG4 and/or H264 that might have been encoded for the iPod. Feel free to chime in.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  11. ill stick with my xbox.
    xbox media center is the best,cant stick a disc in the mvix,ok it plays a lot,so does the xbox,and a lot more formats than mvix does,it also plays games.
    a better cheaper package than mvix,IMO,for my needs its more than enough.
    and really,not that much smaller than the xbox.
    LifeStudies 1.01 - The Angle Of The Dangle Is Indirectly Proportionate To The Heat Of The Beat,Provided The Mass Of The Ass Is Constant.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I had an xbox and it was great but man, what a pain in the ass to lug around. I saw a couple other competitors so I'm not sure which to get!

help!

-like the
    Modix HD-3520

http://www.divxtech.com/
    Quote Quote  
  13. I also use a modded XBox, but the limitation is that it cannot play hi-def material in hi-def quality and it is not very portable. I think the main purpose of this mobile device is that it can be taken to your friend's house or on a trip and can be readily hooked up to pretty well any TV to view programming.

The other apparent advantage is that this device can output in 1080i, whereas the XBox is limited to output in standard definition (it doesn't have the CPU power to display true HiDef).

But I find the lack of network capability to be a major drawback.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wondering if mastersmurfie had the chance to check out the quality and compatibility of all the formats yet.

Waiting patiently.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm waiting too seems that UPS can only try to deliver to me during the day...when I'm not home...

hopefully, but tomorrow...
    just a thought

mastersmurfie
    Quote Quote  
  16. Moved to Portable Video
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Finally got this thing today! Seems to have some sort of Linux OS

confirmed:

MP3s (excellent!!)

mpeg1(as long as original is good, it's good on TV)

mpeg2(same as above...)

VOB (single VOB file...excellent!!!)

DivX 5.1 (I don't have any other DivX types available)--quality is not that great (on the TV), but maybe I need to experiment with different bitrates and such when creating them...I have artifacts that aren't shown on computer screen...however, with the zoom feature of the newest firmware, seems to make it very watchable (I'm not too familiar with all the settings of DivX...but this seems to be the best as far as compatibility (besides straight VOB files) so far...)

JPG pics

Not playable (so far...)

m4v
    mov

(sorry rumplestiltskin...no go on those two as of yet...maybe later firmware upgrades will add these, but no can tell yet)

Still yet to test:

full DVD rips
    VCD
    any other sound format...

(right now, I'm working on a VERY OLD hard drive...2.1GB to be exact (tells you how old it is... ) that I had laying around...and USB 1.whatever the heck it is...)

Once I get my new 40GB HDs and something different than the USB that I have now, I'll do some more testing...

From what I've seen so far, (and as long as I can figure out Divx...) I don't think that I'll burn any more DVDs for a long while

edit: Right now, I'm watching my backup of "The Fog"...ripped and converted to Divx...I can't tell the difference between this and the original!!!

Yea!!!
    just a thought

mastersmurfie
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mastersmurfie,

Thanks very much for your update. I think I'll pass and probably get the EyeHome as that will let me access the library of items already on my Mac. I still have to ask the mp4/m4v question to El Gato's techies but a buddy who owns one is very pleased with his.

I'll start a thread on the EyeHome once I get it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Update!

I learned how to us AutoGK to convert my DVDs to AWESOME looking Divx...and now have a few movies loaded onto a 160 GB HD. Also, I moved all 1600+ of my mp3s to this thing, clearing up that space on my PC...

All in all, this was one of the best investments that I have made in a while. I won't be burning any more DVDs for quite a while (as long as I can convert captured mpg and ripped VOBs to Divx)...

Gonna make this my own little personal "On Demand" player!!
    just a thought

mastersmurfie
    Quote Quote  
  20. I have looked at these type of things and they seem to be much of a muchness (IE very similar) . Modix 350 tvix rhapsody 100. They all seem to be based on the Sigma Designs Em8510(?) or Em8511(?) which determines most of their functionality. I personally would prefer something
    a) cheaper
    b) non-portable (more design conscious for the living room)
    c) larger brighter more informative display for playing music without recourse to Tv display.
    d) a decent remote control (most small companies produce appalling remotes.. no human-interface departments I suppose or the fact that these things are technology driven, geek-buyers)

If any big name consumer company starting producing one of these things then I think the quirks would get ironed out and youd see a really great product ... drool Apple MMC pure white .. a single large grey click wheel . Nano as a remote..
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member 1st class
    Search Comp PM
    From the threads I have read here and my own experience with a no-name (HI-FAI) hard-drive based DIVX player I got off of e-bay, the biggest drawback seems to be that it can take a very long time from the time the player is turned on until it reads its directory and is ready to play. When you load 1 or 2 DIVX files, it will work right away, but when I loaded two seasons of STNG, it took 10 minutes until I could play anything. The only name brand player I have heard of so far is from Iomega. Other threads on this site say it takes a long time getting ready to play, too.

As for quality of play, it is identical to a Dvix/Xvid from a disk in a compatible DVD player. And it is cool to have two seasons of one show in a box the size of the original iPod.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Is that a true 10 mins or just thumb twiddling time??
    I was really thinking of a consumer electronics company not a a bunch of skin-shivelling kakfarts like Iomega (re CLIK, ZIP). Somebody who knows about ergonomics and design, not just videobits/hr. Phillips ergo's with sony build quality and toshiba visual clarity coupled with Kiss/Liteon radicalness. OFFtopic.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member 1st class
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RabidDog
    Is that a true 10 mins or just thumb twiddling time??
    It is a serious count to 60 ten times.
    Quote Quote  
  24. thats a bit worrying.. as I planned to get one of these..
    Quote Quote