VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. When I capture with WinDV it always overlays the file name over the first few seconds of the clip.
    Is there a way to stop this happening but still allow WinDV to name the file itself with the original shooting date?
    WinDV is set to start a new file at each change of time code.
    I want to edit clips together without having to clip each one individually, or else lose some of the content.
    TIA Roger
    PS Googling has not found an answer for me
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you sure that WinDV is doing this. Having used it myself in the past I do not recall that happening.

Could it be that your camera is actually sending the filename as part of the stream and then WinDV will, naturally, record it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I've tried http://www.stoik.com/products/video/STOIK-Capturer/ which doesn't create the overlay, but unfortunately it doesn't create clips based on the timecode, only by various sizes in MB, or else all one clip.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What app are you viewing it with? Could be the viewer is doing it.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll test WinDv later to see if I get this issue (could not yesterday since my ADVC was not working - think I have solved that issue)

But as Scott says you should also consider the player. VLC, for example, will show the video's title as a sub-picture for a few seconds. If WinDv is muxing it in to the main picture then you would get a double sub-picture.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by RogerJay View Post
    I've tried http://www.stoik.com/products/video/STOIK-Capturer/ which doesn't create the overlay, but unfortunately it doesn't create clips based on the timecode, only by various sizes in MB, or else all one clip.

CORRECTION - STOIK also adds an overlay.
    Roger
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Are you sure that WinDV is doing this. Having used it myself in the past I do not recall that happening.

Could it be that your camera is actually sending the filename as part of the stream and then WinDV will, naturally, record it.
    No, it's not the camera, the file name comes from the importing software.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    What app are you viewing it with? Could be the viewer is doing it.

Scott

Using VLC. The files definitely comes from the importing software.
    Last edited by RogerJay; 15th May 2019 at 10:20.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Slap round head time, the overlay is being added by VLC, it's selected on or off as follows:-
    VLC Menus - Tools - Preferences - Subtitles/OSD - Show media title on video start (& choose position)
    Sorry to waste everyone's time, but the comments got the brain thinking along the right lines.
    Thanks to all,
    Roger
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not a waste of time.

Sometimes it pays to ask.
    Quote Quote