VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Im trying to insert audio in an avi movie file. The original avi does have audio, but the file size is too big to burn to cdr (797 mb). So I checked the audio and decided that maybe resampling the audio to a smaller bitrate would do the trick.

The original is 192 kps MP3 audio. I extracted the audio from the file (which turned out to be 122mb) and then re-sampled it to 96 kpbs MP3 audio (which became 66 mb).

I then used Virtual Dub as per instructions, used Direct Stream Copy for Video, selected the new mp3 audio, saved as avi.. file size is now 665 mb, BUT no sound !

what did i do wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Which version of Vdub are you using? Only certain versions allow you to use mp3 audio...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    im using 1.5.1 (build 15654) just downloaded it today from their site so its the latest one.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got it to work from some help on another forum.. so if anyone has the same problem as I did, here you go !

1) Open up the video in VirtualDub.
    2) Go to Audio, and select Full Processing Mode, then go to Compression and select PCM and press OK.
    3) Go to File, and then Save Wav... Let Virtualdub do its thing - should only take a few minutes.
    4) Once the .wav file is complete, convert it to an mp3 using whichever conversion program you like most. I recommend LAME - its a command line program, but I feel that it will give you the best results. If you do decide to go with LAME, here is the command line options that I use:

lame -a -b64 -h --resample 22.05 input.wav output.mp3

-a tells it to force the audio stream into mono
    -b64 means a bitrate of 64
    -h is for high quality encoding
    --resample 22.05 will force the audio stream down to 22.05kHz

The settings on it should be 64 kbps mono at 22.05kHz. This step will take 10 - 15 minutes, depending on speed of your computer.
    5) Once the mp3 is created, delete the source .wav file. Now, go to Doom 9, head to their download section, go to Audio, and download WaveMP3. This program will place .wav file headers into the mp3 that you created, fooling Virtualdub into allowing you to multiplex the mp3 back into your movie. But I get ahead of myself...
    6) Open up Wavemp3, and hit the Wave button. Select the mp3 you created, and away you'll go. Once the program is done (only a few seconds), go ahead and delete your old mp3. You should be left with a .wav file again.
    7) Now, open up your movie in Virtualdub again, and select all your resizing and video compression as you usually do. Now go to Audio, and select Direct Stream Copy, and then select Wav Audio. You will be prompted to select a wav file. Go ahead and select the .wav file that you just finished creating.
    Quote Quote