VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I've tested 4 of my VCRs and I'm asking for your comments -- which ones to keep and which ones to throw away? 3mins file attached.

1. Panasonic NV-HD630 (top left)
    2. Toshiba V642UK (top right)
    3. JVC HR-6850 (BEST enabled) (bottom left)
    3. Panasonic NV-HD640 (bottom right)

Workflow: VCR -> HD640 -> DMR EH-585 -> recorded on Ferguson (LSI Logic MPEG2), please take it into consideration . On PC yadif and compression with CRF20, YUV444.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hard to say, the source material may be not a good start to make such a test, all have different flaws.
    are all using a composite or s-video connection ? or is this also different per config ?
    I guess you should not have any extra features enabled…
    Why have the Ferguson recording in the workflow ? a second compression on your PC ? MPEG2 recording isn't already de-interlaced or has it baked in with the PC?
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 21st May 2023 at 13:30.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The HD630 has the least black streaking on this recording at least. The Toshiba seems to be especially bad in this regard and has a bit of smearing after sharp transitions as well, maybe it has worn heads or capacitor issues or something.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Eric-jan View Post
    Hard to say, the source material may be not a good start to make such a test, all have different flaws.
    are all using a composite or s-video connection ? or is this also different per config ?
    I guess you should not have any extra features enabled…
    Why have the Ferguson recording in the workflow ? a second compression on your PC ? MPEG2 recording isn't already de-interlaced or has it baked in with the PC?
    SCART connection.
    In JVC I had to select OUTPUT:VIDEO. S-VIDEO gave me a black and white signal, I would probably have to remove the HD630 from the workflow. The others give no choice.
    On PC material recompressed from MPEG2 to H264 and deinterlaced (yadif).

I am pasting the postprocessed material below.
    Every file has been denoised, deblocked and sharpened*

*VideoLeftUpper=QTGMC(VideoLeftUpper,preset="slow" ,TR2=2).DeBlock().ASharp(D=2,B=1,hqbf=true)
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by rgr; 21st May 2023 at 16:08.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by rgr View Post
    On PC material recompressed from MPEG2 to H264 and deinterlaced (yadif).
    Then what's the point of 4:4:4? Comparaisons like these should be done with no devices in the workflow, VCR and capture card only, lossless 4:2:2, no more than one minute.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I agree with oln. My preference:

2. Panasonic NV-HD640 (bottom right)
    3. JVC HR-6850 (BEST enabled) (bottom left)
    4. Toshiba V642UK (top right)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Bwaak View Post
    I agree with oln. My preference:

I didn't expect HD630 in the first place -- for me it gives the most noisy picture.
    Thanks for the replies.

(Yes, I know it's best to record directly from the VCR, but I don't have any capture card other than cheap crap.)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Noisyness isn't really measure of how "good" it works though, just how much noise reduction the vcrs does which can also result in loss of detail so it's a tradeoff.

The NV-HD630 producing less black streaks on this tape in particular, which presumably has a not so great recording on it. On most tapes that those really occur at all in a normal-functioning vcr though. Other tapes might work better with another of the VCRs. Newer JVC's are a bit prone to black streaks on bad tapes in my experience but wouldn't have expected the Toshiba (which is really a samsung) to be that affected based on my experience with PAL VCRs.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Yes, Toshiba performed surprisingly poorly -- I suspect the heads are either dirty or worn out. I will clean it, I will still do a test for the HDMI capture card.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    I noticed that the JVC burns out the colors the least.

[Attachment 71223 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    xx
    Last edited by rgr; 24th May 2023 at 19:36.
    Quote Quote