VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,i have a daewoo DF 4150P dvd recorder,when i connect it to the tv via scart i get a blue haze on the screen.
    i see on the back also the is component out which is red blue and green,and beside that is audio out which is red and white.
    on my tv i have the red white and yellow sockets.
    do i need a cable that has 5 connections on one end to go into the dvd recorder ie the component and audio out,or just three connections?
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    For component you just need 3 connections,{red,blue and green}for audio red and white cable.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 8mmthebest View Post
    Hi,i have a daewoo DF 4150P dvd recorder,when i connect it to the tv via scart i get a blue haze on the screen.
    i see on the back also the is component out which is red blue and green,and beside that is audio out which is red and white.
    on my tv i have the red white and yellow sockets.
    do i need a cable that has 5 connections on one end to go into the dvd recorder ie the component and audio out,or just three connections?
    thanks
    Are you saying that the TV does not provide a set of red, blue, and green connections for component video? If that is true then you can't connect the DVD recorder to your TV via component video.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Mar 2023 at 14:40. Reason: typo
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. SCART should work. Or you can try something like this:

I don't see cheap component to composite converters on Amazon.
    Quote Quote  
  5. i get mixed up with component and composite
    the tv has the red white and yellow inputs but the dvd recorder does not have those as outputs,it has red blue and green,and beside that is audio out which is red and white
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i get mixed up with component and composite
    the tv has the red white and yellow inputs but the dvd recorder does not have those as outputs,it has red blue and green,and beside that is audio out which is red and white
    The picture you posted shows a set of red, white, and yellow connections on the front of the DVD recorder. The yellow port is for composite video input. The red and white ports are for analog stereo audio input. Unfortuately, since they are for input not output, you can't use those 3 connections to supply input to the the TV. So, there are no connections that you can use to connect the DVD recorder to your TV, other than SCART, which you say doesn't work properly.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Mar 2023 at 14:40. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's an S-video output, perhaps s-video to composite adapter would work
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No. S-Video doesn't carry audio. That is a breakout cable for an analog video and audio port on certain old PC video cards.

You need an adapter or cable with a male S-Video connection on one end and a female composite video connection on the other end.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 14th Mar 2023 at 08:41.
    Quote Quote  
  9. forgive me but im lost,i thought the one i showed was correct.
    could u by any chance show me an example?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    forgive me but im lost,i thought the one i showed was correct.
    could u by any chance show me an example?
    If you want to connect the S-Video port on the DVD recorder directly to a composite video cable, you would use the following

https://www.amazon.co.uk/S-Video-Ancable-Composite-Adapter-Connect/dp/B0B9LSW46P/
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-S-Video-Composite-composite-mini-DIN/dp/B07D42PQDY/

If you need to connect an S-Video cable to a composite video cable, you would use the adapter below. It might provide a better picture too. The description mentions it includes the electronic component that is needed properly combine the luma and chroma from S-video:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/1STec-Bi-directional-Converter-changes-Composite-RCA-Male/dp/B07TWQ4QTN/

The other two cables could have the same electronic component as well. (The component is small). However, they don't mention that they do.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 14th Mar 2023 at 12:13.
    Quote Quote  
  11. again,please forgive me
    do i not need a connection from the s-video port on dvd recorder to the 3 sockets on the tv which are red white and yellow?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    again,please forgive me
    do i not need a connection from the s-video port on dvd recorder to the 3 sockets on the tv which are red white and yellow?
    S-Video can only provide a video signal. When the S-Video port is connected to a TV, audio is provided by connecting the red and white stereo audio ports on the rear of the DVD recorder to the red and white stereo audio ports on the TV.

This means that you need at least three pieces*:
    1. An S-Video to composite video converter cable. You connect this piece to the DVD recorder's S-Video port to produce a composite video signal.
    2. A composite video cable to connect the converter to your TV's composite video port.
    3. A stereo audio cable with male red and white connectors on each end to connect the stereo audio ports on the rear of the DVD recorder to your TV's stereo audio ports.

* You might be able to use a 3-in-one RCA Male to Male Audio/Video Cable instead of #2 and #3.

If you use the type of S-Video to composite video converter that is not a cable then you need a fourth piece, an S-Video cable to connect the converter to the S-video port on your DVD recorder
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 14th Mar 2023 at 18:15.
    Quote Quote  
  13. by golly i think i have u now.
    thanks a million.
    Quote Quote  
  14. hi,so i got the s video cable and all hooked up,im playing my 8mm camera video playback,but the picture is a bit wavy,if i look through the viewfinder it is fine.
    i have played back video and dvd on the vhs/dvd recorder and it plays back fine.
    why would the 8mm video be bit dodgy?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi,so i got the s video cable and all hooked up,im playing my 8mm camera video playback,but the picture is a bit wavy,if i look through the viewfinder it is fine.
    i have played back video and dvd on the vhs/dvd recorder and it plays back fine.
    why would the 8mm video be bit dodgy?
    You only mentioned connecting your DVD recorder to a TV here, so I was unaware that you started another thread about capturing the video and audio from your 8mm camera. You should post this question in that other thread.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    check all menu's from both devices > combo/vcr/dvd set to the correct output & mode, also the tv should been set to the correct input with a good SCART cable in between this should work.
    RGB(SCART) and component(RCA) are switchable in the menu of the combo, depending on connection type of tv, all SCART would be nice….
    danger of the SCART to RCA cable is: is it an input or output cable ?….. A SCART-RCA adapter plug with in/out switch is a safe bet option, (has also s-video in/out most of the time)
    [Attachment 69859 - Click to enlarge]

if there is no switch present on a SCART to RCA cable there should be both input and output cables hanging out of the SCART plug, but that would be a big bundle, or low quality thin wires with shielding, if at all…..

But SCART to SCART should always work when done correctly.

RGB(SCART) is for CRT only, or for TELETEXT/CEEFAX passthrough.
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 19th Mar 2023 at 06:34.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now you've got 2 threads running on the same problem? make up your mind ! one should be enough.
    Quote Quote