VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using BurnAware software I filled up a 25GB disk with files (see Photo #1).

After burning AND verifying, I look at the disk and to my experience with disk burning (25+ years)....it looks like it only actually filled half the disk (see Photo #2).

So my first thought was, Ok...this must be a 50GB blank Disk. But I know I didn't buy 50GB disks because they were so much more expensive. So then I thought, well maybe they sent me 50GB disks by mistake, But when I set the disk size in the software to 50GB, it errors out.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Photo #1: Image
    [Attachment 67395 - Click to enlarge]

Photo #2: Image
    [Attachment 67396 - Click to enlarge]

[Solved] by user Blu-Disc Studio....see their answer
    Last edited by dwsiddall; 31st Oct 2022 at 11:42.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Inserted a blank disk and used different software to verify....it is, indeed, a 25GB blank disk. I've burned it twice and got the same result (looks half-full).

Verified this further by looking at some disks from the same batch that I burned some months ago and they look correct (dark/burned area covered entire disk).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Blu-Disc Studio developer CDK's Avatar
    Search PM
    The color may depend on the burning speed. If the speed was set to auto it can use different burning speed for different areas.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dwsiddall View Post
    Inserted a blank disk and used different software to verify....it is, indeed, a 25GB blank disk. I've burned it twice and got the same result (looks half-full).

Verified this further by looking at some disks from the same batch that I burned some months ago and they look correct (dark/burned area covered entire disk).
    how big are your files ??
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for this info!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post

how big are your files ??
    1-2gb approx each. They are movies.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM

Did your burning software's logs report any errors? Can you play all of the files that you intended to burn from these BD-Rs without any issues?
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I know this back in the day called coasters, Do a file integrity check, if all files are there why does it matters how it looks?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Answer not visible. What was the answer?
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Read post 3 for the answer.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Even post 3 answer is nebulous because we don't know the burning speed that the original poster used.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It isn't nebulous,the op wanted to know what caused the difference in burn pattern and was told it was difference in burn speeds and he was happy with the explanation.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    It isn't nebulous,the op wanted to know what caused the difference in burn pattern and was told it was difference in burn speeds and he was happy with the explanation.
    Exactly correct. Thank you for stating what needed to be stated.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Answer not visible. What was the answer?
    Answer was: The color may depend on the burning speed. If the speed was set to auto it can use different burning speed for different areas.

Answer marked as [SOLVED]
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    I know this back in the day called coasters, Do a file integrity check, if all files are there why does it matters how it looks?
    Surely you don't really think the issue was just being unhappy with "how it looked", right? The question was seeking info on why it APPEARED to only be half-written. The answer, as it turns out, was that INDEED it only LOOKED half-written. It was fully written across the entire span of the disk, it just had a lighter color due to the software using different write speeds on different parts of the disk.
    Quote Quote