VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/bennyboyt/untitled-4.jpg

ive circled the problem, any ideas on what causes this?

thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From the looks of it , and without knowing the source "hint" , then its video bitrate is to low .
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Too low a bitrate, simple as that.

What you are seeing is an effect called posterisation. Essentially, it results from not enough bits being allocated to the video so that the codec can resolve gradual transitions in colour such as skin tones properly. So instead of that subtle weave of colour that real human skin looks like in film, you get a series of abrupt, uneven steps.

The likely culprit is having tried to put too much video onto the one disc. Posterisation effects generally happen when trying to fit more than two hours of footage onto a single layer, although this can also vary depending on the amount of motion in the footage. Without knowing what your source is, however, that's as much insight as I can offer.
    "It's getting to the point now when I'm with you, I no longer want to have something stuck in my eye..."
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the quick replys guys, so nothing i can do about it really... thanks anyways
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can also get posterisation from running your desktop in 16 bit colour mode. Also, some version of virtualdub set the preview to 16 bit colour mode by default. However, looking at the overall poor quality of the video, over compression is by far the most likely cause in this case.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The solution depends on a lot of different things. The oft-repeated golden rule here is to give as much information as you think an expert needs to discern the nature of the problem, then give some more.

If, as guns1inger has suggested, you are watching the DVD on a desktop in 16-bit colour mode, then it is possible simply switching to 32-bit colour will fix the problem.

If these are original, store-bought DVDs, then unfortunately you are ought of luck, and your best recourse is to complain loudly to the distributor (and in public forums where other potential buyers might see it).

If these are copies you have made from another source, especially an original DVD, then your basic option is to try again with less compression. Assuming the posterisation is not already present in the source, of course.
    "It's getting to the point now when I'm with you, I no longer want to have something stuck in my eye..."
    Quote Quote