VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I knew better deals were out there but the customer(s) wanted or needed SATAII and 200GB capacity. I don't like to mess with the parallel connectors anymore for hard drives.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Treebeard
    300gb ata for $80 free shipping!

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4187703
    Not much said in this post ... do you work for Fry's ... ???

Where is the 300GB drive ?

What brand is it ??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That link did bring the product up when I posted it. they must be sold out now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ ROF - This is the motherboard I have the SATA drive connected to - http://machspeed.com/specs/viper/939STD.html - though I have tried it in the other PCs I have. I have the latest Bios update on all of them. It reads the full amount properly now, but it was a major hassle with the funky Maxtor bootdisk. I have XP w/SP2 disc that was installed on that PC too.

The HDD was the Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L250M0. Got it for $60.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ROF
    I prefer both Seagate and Maxtor drives over all others.
    My current system has Western Digital drives (2 of them) only because they came with the system when I bought it. But, if I was to replace them, it would probably be with Maxtor drives. I've had 2 Maxtor drives die on me (one in my system, one in my son's). When I called them up, Maxtor just asked for my name, address, and credit card number. Without charging the card, they sent me new drives both times ... with return authorizations for the old drives in the box. I simply had to return the old drives in the same boxes within a certain period of time to avoid the new drives being charged to my card. Because I did, both replacement drives were free.

No hassle. No questions. That's the way I like to do business.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    @Doramius

Why did you use the Maxtor disc? I get one when I buy retail drives but I have never used them. I use WinXP SP2 to Partition and Format drives.
    Quote Quote  
  7. evry bad pc I worked on came with a Maxtor HD.I trust Samsung(I got 3 of them) ,Hitachi(1 )and Seagate(I bought 2 for my friends)

SAMSUNG T133 Series 300GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb $97 at newegg

or the

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 750GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s for $499 .lol
    Quote Quote  
  8. Seagate's Acquisition of Maxtor to Finalize Soon

"Maxtor will be but a distant memory in just a few days and the name thrown into Seagate's closet of conquests"
    "In a matter of days we will never see the Maxtor name on the New York Stock Exchange again"

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2409

soon no more topics about Maxtor here
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I bought a SATA 250gb Maxtor hard drive last month for $92.00 including shipping cost. This drive comes with a 5 year warranty which is probably because Seagate bought Maxtor. Needless to say in my experience every hard drive manufacturer has their quality control issues.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When I don't use the Maxtor disk, My system doesn't read the entire drive. I end up with an NTFS partition of 160GB and the rest of the drive can't be read. I tried again and got it to read the whole drive, but I forgot to change some settings and it still partitioned 160GB. on the third try I got it to read 250GB and partition the whole thing. I got it as a bulk white box with no included software. I got 5 of the drives altogether. At $60 a piece, I couldn't resist. The drive is great, It was just a hassle to use as a primary drive. after the setup, the drive is top notch.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone remember when Hard drives were measured in Megabytes? I wonder how long it will be until Hard drives will predominately be measured in Terabytes?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by ROF
    I also do not like Western Digital but only because if you do have to deal with them for a dead drive it's worse than pulling teeth for them to admit their drive failed and all you want is a replacement.
    WRONG, I had an 160Gb sata, with 3 yrs warranty. after 1 yr died...to much encoding, went online, ordered a replacement, 4 days later got it, put mine in the box and sent it back...and I did it twice, because the new drive died 3 months later again...this happens when you get a refurbished garbage back.
    so, do you think it could be any easier than this ? I didn't even have to send mine first.

the only good drives are seagate and wd, maxtor is good for arhiving only, slower than other two.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lenti_75
    Originally Posted by ROF
    I also do not like Western Digital but only because if you do have to deal with them for a dead drive it's worse than pulling teeth for them to admit their drive failed and all you want is a replacement.
    WRONG, I had an 160Gb sata, with 3 yrs warranty. after 1 yr died...to much encoding, went online, ordered a replacement, 4 days later got it, put mine in the box and sent it back...and I did it twice, because the new drive died 3 months later again...this happens when you get a refurbished garbage back.
    so, do you think it could be any easier than this ? I didn't even have to send mine first.

the only good drives are seagate and wd, maxtor is good for arhiving only, slower than other two.
    While I am glad you had a good experience I know I am not the only one who has had bad experiences dealing with Western Digital. To say I am WRONG implies no one has ever had problems dealing with Western Digital which, of course, is FALSE!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For every hardware company out there Its a given that more than a few people have had bad experiences with them. Its just how things work.
    Quote Quote  
  15. the thing is this, for WD you don;t have to call them, all you have to do is go online and get the replacement.

no company is perfect, but sometimes it depends on how the peolpe manage to deal with their problems, like this example, when instead of going online and spending 10 min, you call them and spend 2 hrs on the phone.....because, like everywhere, a bunch of morons work there and have no ideea of what they are talking about.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Seagate bought Western Digital. Maybe that's how they want to stop the cut throat competition, and make some real money. Maybe that's why we don't see those low low price anymore.

Anyone know where to get a 100GB 2.5" laptop HD less than $99.99 ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SingSing
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    My local Staples probably has only one in stock. You might have to get there when the doors open.

But I have found if they are out of them in the store, I can still order the same sale item over the internet and they deliver it to my door. And it's delivered from same the local store.
    This is better than their after tank_giving sales. There are only a few HD onhand, and no rain check.

The Thanksgiving rebate allowed up to qty3 250GB Maxtors at $39.99 after rebate. I got two and am still kicking myself for not getting the third.

Correction: I just looked, those were 200GB Maxtors.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Seagate bought Western Digital.
    No, I think that was Maxtor they bought out. Seagates still offer the best warranty, by far.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maxtor 200GB 7200 RPM internal hard drive
    Save $40
    $69.98
    Reg. $109.98
    Valid Jul 23 - 29

The link >>> http://staples.shoplocal.com/staplessneakpeek/Default.aspx?action=browsepagedetail&sto...ailerid=-99906

..... is for a Maxtor ... not a Western Digital
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Whoops!
    -Brett
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47
    Seagate bought Western Digital.
    No, I think that was Maxtor they bought out. Seagates still offer the best warranty, by far.
    Solid and quiet drives too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here is a Western Digital ... that is on sale

PC Club Item No: A3494853
    Manufacturer Model No: WD2500KS
    Manufacturer: Western Digital

Price: $79.99*

Link >>> http://www.pcclub.com/product_details.cfm?itemno=A3494853&email=LA&dt=0722e

WESTERN DIGITAL 250GB 7200RPM Hard Drive - 16MB SATA2 - OEM (WD2500KS)

Weekly Special product. Quantity may be limited.

Product Description:

Western Digital 250G 7200RPM 16MB SATA2 WD

Model WD2500KS

WD Caviar SE16 next-generation SATA hard drives feature a 16 MB
    cache for lightning-fast performance. Yes, these reliable drives are
    fast, but they still deliver technologically advanced acoustics and
    cool operation. Designed for high-performance computers, multimedia
    and gaming systems.

16 MB cache -- Bigger cache means faster performance. A massive
    16 MB cache combined with up to 300 MB/s transfer rate make these
    ultra-fast drives the perfect solution for the fully loaded PC with a fast
    processor.

Cool operating temperature – WD hard drives are designed to have
    he lowest power consumption of any high-capacity desktop-class
    hard drive which lowers the operating temperature for enhanced
    drive reliability.

Whisper quiet – These highly-reliable drives deliver technologically
    advanced acoustics. With its WhisperDrive™ and SoftSeek™
    technologies, WD has minimized noise to levels virtually imperceptible
    to the human ear in home and business environments.

Specifications

Rotational Speed 7,200 RPM (nominal)
    Buffer Size 16 MB
    Average Latency 4.20 ms (nominal)
    Contact Start/Stop Cycles 50,000 minimum

Seek Times (Average)
    Read Seek Time (Average) 8.9 ms
    Write Seek Time (Average) 10.9 ms (average)
    Track-To-Track Seek Time 2.0 ms (average)
    Full Stroke Seek 21.0 ms (average)

Transfer Rates
    Buffer To Host (Serial ATA) 300 MB/s (Max)
    Buffer To Disk 748 Mbits/s (Max)
    Quote Quote