VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi!
    Have some family films on DVD discs. New technics/softwares coming all the time.
    There is a lot of options and solutions ppl suggest, depending on what outcome you want to have/achieve.

-What format would be the best option to save films for ev.future authoring/improving films quality?
    -Or should they be improved in quality now and save them in any special looseless quality format?

What I´m asking is some suggestions how to preserve dvds best way with best possible quality.

Thanks in advance for some shortcuts and tips
    Quote Quote  
  2. Just copy the VIDEO_TS folders to your hard drive. That will give you an exact copy of what's on the DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes,but should I try to improve quality and put in any special format for future use?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Save them as an ISO file. Good for safe keeping.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Miramar239 View Post
    Yes,but should I try to improve quality and put in any special format for future use?
    VIDEO_TO folders are for future use. You can play them (most player software that will play DVDs will play VIDEO_TS folders) or edit the VOB files in them as necessary. Some editors don't work with VOB files but will work with MPG files. You can remux (no loss of quality) VOB to MPG with tools like Mpg2Cut2, VOB2MPG, etc. What you do from there depends on the nature of the videos themselves and what you want to do. Just cut/paste editing? Extensive filtering? Are these film sources? VHS camcorder sources? Etc.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Miramar239 View Post
    Yes,but should I try to improve quality and put in any special format for future use?
    Having a archival backup of the original is best. It allows a fresh start in the event that significant technological improvements/changes come along later. Otherwise, you will be making copies of copies as time goes on.

As an example, when I started here, DivX and XVid were very popular, but now more people use H.264. Five years from now, H.264 may be considered outdated, having been replaced by H.265 or VP10.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  7. Oki,thanks guys very much for all tips.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think you need to clarify what you mean by "improving quality." Unless you have access to the raw camera footage those family-film DVDs came from, those DVDs are already the "best" quality you're going to get -- no magic "enhance" button is going to turn standard-definition 480i video with a 4:3 aspect ratio from a VHS or 8mm camcorder into pristine, high-definition 4K 16:9 widescreen, for example.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Ok. Those DVDs are right now originals if can say so. But f.e. Cyberlink can improve a bit of quality.To maybe render as mpeg2 and then to save as a ISO file.
    Just a though.
    Quote Quote