VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi im new here and had a couple of questiins.
    i have a new hp computer and something that astonished me is it only came with a dvd player.. i didnt realize it when i bought it it had no info on the box about the dvd on the product it was a bundle deal at best buy. I saw the dvd on the sample so i assumed it had a burner.
    So what is the beat dvd burner for a windows 8 laptop? I have searched so many websites and i cant find one with good rwviews or its way too expensive for me. Plus i read alot of them dont let you rip protected dvds with ripping software.
    any advice would be a help. Oh i do mean an external drive..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Little point in suggesting a burner only to find it is beyond your budget. So....

1. Tell us the model no of the laptop - needed to establish the type of connections you have
    2. Your maximum spend for the burner

BTW What you read about ripping is nonsense (and you would not use the burner for this anyway). Just read this up on the forum
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry what i meant is to write a protected movie etc. I have a program to do the rest . I just read on one well rated dvd burner in reading the reviews one said you couldnt burn protected movies etc. I dont know alot yet but i am yrying toread up. When i get home i will find the info on the computer

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can not write a protected movie. Simple.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe something like this?: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136267

I don't really recommend those slim external burners. They seem to die more quickly than a full size one. And you definitely want one with a power supply or it will suck your laptop batteries down fairly quickly. I assume your laptop is newer, so it probably has Windows 8 and maybe a USB 2.0 port. 2.0 has a higher transfer rate than the older 1.1, so better for burning.

Protected DVDs need a decryption program to rip or convert. DVDFab HD Decrypter is free. AnyDVD is payware, but more versatile.

I would also recommend using ImgBurn for burning. And a good brand of DVD media. Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim are two good brands.

Some laptops can be upgraded to a internal DVD burner, but it may be a complicated process and those internal burners are expensive. And you would have to make absolutely sure the one you purchase would work with your PC.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  6. An external drive is easily obtained. Buy an external dvd drive on it, the same features with Internal drives.
    Quote Quote