VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi Folks,

I'm making a DVD of a live concert from a friend's band and I'd like to find an Opensource / if not Freeware / if not Trialware that has the following functions :
    - Can make a chapter menu (I have only 1 big title, I need a chapter menu)
    - Can give names to chapters
    - Can make menu quite easy with the title of the chapter (and maybe screenshot also)

I tried :
    - DVDFlick : no go, unless I split the video in parts and reunite them in DVD flick as video sources.
    - AVS2DVD : no chapter menu (the author told me)
    - DVDStyler : seems doable but with no text and no automatic menu
    - Gui for DVDAuthor, DVDAuthorGui : same as DVDStyler

So, any advice on a DVD aithoring software that does this ?
    Thanks !
    fredo46
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TmpGenc Authoring Works 5 but, you'll pay.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Any of the low cost dvd authoring programs do what you want easily. TAW is a good one. FWIW you've already identified the best of the freebies.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by addu View Post
    Thanks but seems only to work for Blurays, am I right ?
    I'll try TMPGEnc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It works for all. dvd, avchd and blurays.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by fredo46 View Post
    - Can make a chapter menu (I have only 1 big title, I need a chapter menu)
    - DVDStyler : seems doable but with no text and no automatic menu
    - Gui for DVDAuthor, DVDAuthorGui : same as DVDStyler

I use DVDAuthorGUI. I mean, how hard is it to create simple title and menu BMPs using some photo app? Then you use DVDAuthorGUI to convert them to M2Vs for the menu backgrounds. That part is in Menu->Create M2V Still. The best menus come from your imagination, not some stupid program template.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by fredo46 View Post
    I use DVDAuthorGUI. I mean, how hard is it to create simple title and menu BMPs using some photo app? Then you use DVDAuthorGUI to convert them to M2Vs for the menu backgrounds. That part is in Menu->Create M2V Still. The best menus come from your imagination, not some stupid program template.
    I have one video source with 25 chapters, for each one I want a screenshot and that in several menu pages. But of course a friend and I made the visuals for the menus. But we don't want to spend 2 days making 3-4 menu pages that could easily be done automatically.

By the way, TMPGEnc Author doesn't allow to add custom backgrounds ! So I can't use it, damn. Gonna try AVCHD again, then.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by fredo46 View Post
    I have one video source with 25 chapters, for each one I want a screenshot and that in several menu pages. But of course a friend and I made the visuals for the menus. But we don't want to spend 2 days making 3-4 menu pages that could easily be done automatically.
    And with a freeware program? Good luck finding one. You might check out DVD-Lab Pro. I don't know if the trial version is complete, but it's well-thought of around here as being a full-featured program. But I wouldn't expect a free program to take your pictures and crop/resize/arrange them nicely on some sort of a background to be used as menus. There are many around here with knowledge of photo programs, NLEs, and/or AviSynth that could take your pictures and make your menus in a couple of hours.
    Quote Quote  
  9. DVD Lab Pro has fully functional trial, it can generate chapter menus for movie with thumbnails, you can change those generated thumbnails by dragging frame from preview window, you can also change backgrounds.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    And with a freeware program? Good luck finding one.
    Well, DVDFlick (and DVDStyler also, I think) does exactly that but only for titles, not for chapters. So I thought it might be possible for another freebie ?

I'll try DVDLab Pro. Thank all of you for you help !
    Quote Quote  
  11. Well i finally learned how to use DVDStyler which could do the job not automatically but with wysiwyg. It is quite an intuitive tool, with just enough automation so that you know what's going on
    This message just to thank all of you for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BTW, I frequently use TDA and change the backgrounds all the time.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
    BTW, I frequently use TDA and change the backgrounds all the time.
    I'd be interested to know how you do that and which version you have. Thanks !
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using the latest version, called TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5.

To change the background of a menu do the following:

1. Import your clips and add the chapter markers.
    2. Create a custom menu or use a template if you wish.
    3. When you are done creating your menu(s), you will be presented with a screen showing you all of the menus associated with the project. Double-click on any of the menus displayed.
    4. Click the EDIT MENU button on the screen that opens up. A dialog box will appear; click on BACKGROUND AND AUDIO SETTINGS.
    5. Under PICTURE FILE SETTINGS, click the BROWSE button. Then browse you computer and choose the background you wish to use. Click OK.
    6. If you are using a motion background, then click DVD-VIDEO GLOBAL MENU SETTINGS. Click the MOTION MENU tab. Click the MOTION MENU (NO AUDIO) radio button or the MOTION MENU AND BACKGROUND AUDIO radio button. Set duration of the menu in the BGM/MOTION MENU DURATION box. Click OK.
    7. If you click the SIMULATION button and you want to see the motion menu in action, just click the MOTION button on the DVD controls on the bottom of the screen. That will render the motion background.

You will have to do steps 3-5 for each menu. This is only a brief list of steps; there are more things you can do. Just experiment.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post

By the way, TMPGEnc Author doesn't allow to add custom backgrounds ! So I can't use it, damn. Gonna try AVCHD again, then.
    Seeing you're still considering alternative tools, let me mention that I've used GUI for dvdauthor for all you mention and more (even custom DVD virtual machine programming and register manipulation). It's not that intuitive to get going with, but at the time I evaluated it, its levels of control and flexibility were unmatched in freeware. Glad you managed, though.
    Quote Quote