VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, new to the group. I'm guessing this has been asked multiple times, appreciate any help you can provide or point me to.

I am backing up my Blue Ray collection using MakeMKV. I used to convert with Handbrake to save space but I now have enough space to keep the best quality I can. My process is to pick the largest folder on the disk and rip it. When there are multiple identical folders I do my research to find which one should be used. I keep all the English audio formats and ditch the subtitles. I then move the MKV folder/file to plex as is, no more compressing with Handbrake.

Here's the problem I'm seeing most of the time but not always: When watching ripped movie on my TV via the Plex app on my Fire Cube I have multiple selections for audio. I'll use Ford v Ferrari as an example. Plex states audio stream is DTS-HD MA 7.1 but receiver sees input signal as stereo. I choose DTS 5.1 and receiver sees it as stereo. AC3 stereo is seen as stereo. AC3 5.1 IS SEEN as 5.1 but it's the track with visual dialog for the sight impaired.

Midway rip shows TRUEHD 7.1 and audio stream is showing as 5.1 on receiver. Appears a bit better but where is the other 2 channels?

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. https://support.plex.tv/articles/212072167-audio-configuration-guide-plex-media-player/

Too many factors involved.
    Read and go through the settings.

Obviously, passthrough with a 7.1 channel capable decoding device as the receiving client would affect this greatly - ie. Plex won't touch the audio by reducing channels, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had similar issues on my Nvidia media player and it was fixed by checking the output from that device. This device's default setting was to only send a stereo signal.

Just a thought.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the feedback. Can't find the audio settings in Plex server, getting frustrated but will keep digging.
    Quote Quote  
  5. What device is your Plex app running on? For example, I serve up files to a Roku Ultra which doesn't support DTS-HD MA 7.1, but does pass it through to a compatible receiver and I think can decode it to stereo PCM. I am guessing the client your Plex is serving to is doing the same thing. From what you are describing, it sounds like it has no problem passing AC3 audio as 5.1 but has a problem passing DTS audio.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FireTV cube supports the following:

Audio codecs
    (input formats)
    Dolby Atmos (EC3_JOC). Up to 48kHz, 8 channels, 16-bit
    AC3 (Dolby Digital). Up to 48kHz, 6 channels, 16-bit
    eAC3 (Dolby Digital Plus). Up to 48kHz, 8 channels, 16-bit
    AAC Profile (AAC LC). Support for up to 8 channels from 8 kHz to 48 kHz.
    MPEG-4 HE AAC Profile (AAC+). Support for up to 8 channels from 8 kHz to 48 kHz.
    MPEG-4 HE AACv2 Profile (enhanced AAC+). Support for up to 8 channels from 8 kHz to 48 kHz.
    AAC ELD (enhanced low delay AAC). Support for up to 8 channels from 8 kHz to 48 kHz.
    AMR-NB 4.75 to 12.2 kbps sampled @ 8 kHz
    FLAC. Up to 2 channels. Sample rates up to 48 kHz (but up to 44.1 kHz is recommended on devices with 44.1 kHz output, as the 48 to 44.1 kHz downsampler does not include a low-pass filter). 16-bit recommended.
    MP3. Mono/Stereo 8-320Kbps constant (CBR) or variable bitrate (VBR)
    Vorbis. Up to 8 channels, 32-500 kbit/s
    Opus. Up to 8 channels, 48 kHz
    PCM/WAVE. 16-bit linear PCM up to 8 channels and 96kHz.

I guess I need to take some more specific notes to figure out what's going on here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lamann View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Can't find the audio settings in Plex server, getting frustrated but will keep digging.
    for audio settings see here - https://forums.plex.tv/t/cant-find-audio-settings/186004
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by babygdav View Post
    Won't be tossing it but might look into another player for Plex. Suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Further research has revealed that the FireTV cube appears to be the culprit. Changed to Apple TV 4k and what was coming out stereo for some movies is now 5.1. What was coming out 5.1 from Cube is coming out 7.1 with Apple TV. Players do matter!

Anyone know what the holdup is with the NVidia Shield Pro? Everyone is sold out.
    Quote Quote