VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Is there out there an audio amplifier (similar to a phono pre-amp?), which would allow me to boost audio (even just 2 channel stereo would be enough), to a higher level (?)?
    My hearing is getting worse & worse, and I would like to increase my audio volume. I have a box which seperates hdmi video and audio, vid is fine, 'I can still see!'. I recently bought a yamaha avr ($500 worth), but movies, guns jets bombs cars sound ok, but voices are terribly distorted. My old & now dead sony was not like this, voice was relatively ok. I tried, (bought & returned) several other avr's that were worse than the yamaha. It seems that having avr volume set high (70+%) & (media player) not over 50%, distortion is just a little less.

Any thoughts or reccomendations??
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All you need is a mixer board.
    Something decent from Tapco, Mackie, Behringer.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try playing with the audio equalizer in your media player. Most voices are in the lower midrange area and you can either boost those or lower the highs and lows. I know PotPlayer and VLC has it, and I think MPC-HC also, but can't find it right now. Also, try playing with the audio settings on your TV. There's various names for the different modes, but you don't want Dynamic or Surround. My Panasonic calls it A.I. and it normalizes the audio across the range. And on my 19" Insignia, there's a News setting that really pushes the voice range forward and sounds really tinny. I know there's different settings on my Sony, but they're locked out in Cinema mode.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Exactly what I'm talking about! Thanks
    Last edited by cornemuse; 14th Feb 2020 at 10:59. Reason: feng shui
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote