VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I've already processed this clip through AvsPMod and deinterlaced but this weird aliasing problem still remains (see how it affects the lines on old man's shirt in attached video) It is inherent to the source.

And i'm unsure if that's shimmering on the floor or just some light flickering off it.

SetMTMode(5,4)
    AVISource("F:\xxxxx.avi", audio=true)
    SetMemoryMax(1000)
    SetMTMode(2)
    AssumeTFF()
    AssumeFPS(25)
    QTGMC(preset="slow", matchpreset="slow", matchpreset2="slow", sourcematch=3, Lossless=2, EdiThreads=2)
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Better might be to provide a piece from the source. But if it's also like that I doubt much can be done.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Better might be to provide a piece from the source. But if it's also like that I doubt much can be done.
    Have now attached an unrendered piece of the original file.

I don't know if it could be MPEG compression artefacts as it was captured via a lossy method (AverMedia from copy protected PVR) But captured at a bitrate of 15Mbits that far exceeds the broadcast bitrate, which i suspect isn't high enough to give a proper clean HD picture.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. The artifacts on the yellow shirt are aliasing/moire from the thin vertical stripes. You always get that when the size of the stripes approaches the resolution of the video. In this case I think the video was shot at a lower resolution (probably 720p) and upscaled. The artifacts are baked into the video and there's probably not a lot you can do about it other than blurring them away. After deinterlacing, rotating the frame 90 degrees and using QTGMC(InputType=2) to reduce the shimmering might help a little (then rotating the frame back to normal, obviously).
    Quote Quote  
  5. You can try using Santiag(strv=0, nns=4, nsize=5) for aliasing.

I don't think you're going to be able to do much about the lines on the shirt. The material its made of is supposed to shine like that under light. When there's an up close shot of the guys clothing you can see it better. That looks like those silky shirts my grandpa used to wear. It's more likely that when far away it looks like aliasing because of the way it reflects light.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Yep doing QTGMC both ways didn't help, i think you're both right it's not a problem with the video, just the way that shirt is, and would be viewed the same under the lights if there for real. I didn't notice it myself when i went to see the show live, but then i was too far away.

How do you get Santiag to show up? (just for future reference when i do want to remove other aliasing that may occur) I have both MaskTools2 and NNEDI3 plugins in my folder, but Santiag is just highlighting in red in AvsPmod.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Import Santiag.avs in your script.

Code:
    Import("Drive:\path\to\Santiag.avs")
    Or put Santiag.avs in AviSynth's plugins folder and rename it Santiag.avsi.

QTGMC(InputType=2) does help but only a little. Not worth the extra processing time. I did try applying a large BinomialBlur() to just the yellow areas. That removed a lot of it but looked bad otherwise.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Import Santiag.avs in your script.

Code:
    Import("Drive:\path\to\Santiag.avs")
    Or put Santiag.avs in AviSynth's plugins folder and rename it Santiag.avsi.

QTGMC(InputType=2) does help but only a little. Not worth the extra processing time. I did try applying a large BinomialBlur() to just the yellow areas. That removed a lot of it but looked bad otherwise.
    Thanks for that, working now

Things ground to a halt with my settings on top of QTGMC(InputType=2) so i tried just doing TurnRight().QTGMC(InputType=2).TurnLeft().QTGMC(In putType=2) and made the mistake of putting (InputType=2) twice.. which caused problems. But TurnRight().QTGMC(InputType=2).TurnLeft().QTGMC did help a little, cleaner picture.

Originally Posted by killerteengohan View Post
    You can try using Santiag(strv=0, nns=4, nsize=5) for aliasing.

I don't think you're going to be able to do much about the lines on the shirt. The material its made of is supposed to shine like that under light. When there's an up close shot of the guys clothing you can see it better. That looks like those silky shirts my grandpa used to wear. It's more likely that when far away it looks like aliasing because of the way it reflects light.
    An error keeps showing up saying Santiag does not have a named argument "nns"
    Last edited by Master Tape; 19th Dec 2019 at 00:33.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Master Tape View Post
    You probably have an old version. Get v 1.6:

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Santiag
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1393006#post1393006
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by Master Tape View Post
    You probably have an old version. Get v 1.6:

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Santiag
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1393006#post1393006
    Ah looks like i did, thanks again.
    Quote Quote