VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My hdtv has only hdmi inputs, but the OPPO OPDV971H dvd player I lan on buying has DVI, but comes with the dv- to hdmi cable. My question is, Is there any loss of quality if using a DVI--->HDMI cable instead of a straight DVI or HDMI? cable?

Also,I ws looking at this OPPO DV-970HD dvd player as well because it is a stright HDMI cable, but it doesn't mention the DCDi by Faroudja, which I heard is good.
    What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DCDi is very good for interlace DVD to progressive conversion.

DVI to HDMI is a direct pinout conversion as far as video but audio and other features don't exist on DVI.

In this application it just means you need a separate cable (S/PDIF) for audio.

I've posted pinout conversion links DVI to HDMI in other posts.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm glad you responded edDV, I was thinking about buying OPPO upscaling dvd player, but on the OPPO site it said the OPPO OPDV971H For Use with DLP Rear Projection TVs requires careful calibration. So I sent an e-mail asking what this all meant. here was there response:

With DLP displays, due to their inherent design limitations in accurately displaying greyscales, require careful calibration to reduce instances of macroblocking and banding artifacts. You will need to use a professional calibration disc such as AVIA or DVE to properly tune your DLP to the proper brightness, contrast, and saturation settings.

Additional calibration through the service menu of your display may also be required, depending on the situation. The OPDV971H can also exasperate macroblocking errors. For this reason, careful calibrations are in order in order to reduce or eliminate macroblocking errors. The DV-970HD does not enhance macroblocking errors, but the inherent DLP limitations are still evident.

Now I have a Mitsubishi WD52627 1080p DLP rear Projection tv. So does it just seem that my tv will upscale my dvds fine itself, with my current toshiba SD2800 dvd player? When I put in a dvd today the display on the tv tells me the dvd is 480i. Would I need to do something to change it to 480p, 720p, 1080i? I'm not even sure if you can answer this or not, but thanks for the help anyway.
    What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Denvers Dawgs

Now I have a Mitsubishi WD52627 1080p DLP rear Projection tv. So does it just seem that my tv will upscale my dvds fine itself, with my current toshiba SD2800 dvd player? When I put in a dvd today the display on the tv tells me the dvd is 480i. Would I need to do something to change it to 480p, 720p, 1080i? I'm not even sure if you can answer this or not, but thanks for the help anyway.
    As far as I can tell from the specs, the toshiba SD2800 doesn't have a progressive mode. Otherwise it seems to be a good DVD player. You should be using the YPbPr Green-Red-Blue cables and the output will be 480i.

The native resolution for DVD is 720x480. The DLP TV will upscale 720x480i to 1080p.
    You might want to borrow a progressive player and see if it looks better in 480p mode.

Upscaling players set to 1080i may or may not look better. Make sure you have return rights. You might consider spending the money instead on a true 1080p Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD Upconverting DVD Player @~ $450. HD DVD native resolution is 1920x1080p/24.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVI and HDMI are exactly the same in terms of video. There is no conversion that takes place.
    Quote Quote