VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Whutz up?
    I have seen similar threads so I will try to be more specific...and worry about DVDs copying and whether it will play on other DVD players. So this will be helpful to anyone who makes DVDs for other people.
    What is the best Brand of Standalone DVD recorders in your opinion??? I know no brand is perfect... I was really happy with Sharp - but it looks like they don't sell them anymore. So I am in the market for a new DVD recorder.
    I am interested in Menus to pop up (when they insert them into the player).
    I do distribute the DVDs to family members - so compatibility is important.
    And also making copies of the DVDs on the computer is also important (obviously).
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. It would be a nice Christmas gift.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try JVC, LG, Pioneer, Toshiba & Panny.
    http://www.absolutevisionvideo.com

BLUE SKY, BLACK DEATH!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately, there is no easy answer to your question. There are no dvd recorders that are head-and-shoulders above the rest. They all have their advantages and disadvantages.

To be more specific, the recorder you should get depends in part on a) what you want to do with it, b) your technical proficiency and c) your personal preferences.

This is going to take some research on your part.

May I suggest that you start with the sticky in this forum on known fatal flaws with existing dvd recorders started by LordSmurf. It is excellent. Please be sure and read the entire thread.

Also, if you click on the button on the far left labeled "DVD Recorders", you can check out the customer ratings for nearly any dvd recorder ever made. Sometimes you can find info on compatibility, though that usually depends more on the media used than the recorder.

Now, for my 2 cents on the subject of which recorder is best:

JVC has indeed made some good dvd recorders and many of the members of this forum swear by them (I own a DR-M10, which I like very much). However, JVC is apparently getting out of the business. Their website lists only 2 models right now: one is a combo unit with a built-in VCR and the other one has a list price over $1300.

I also own a Pioneer DVR220. It lacks several of the features common to JVC units such as DNR filters and variable bit recording rates but, on the other hand, it is practically bullet proof and very easy to use. I have read that the other Pioneer units currently available are just as good. If you are not interested in doing VHS to DVD transfers, then I would recommend one of these.

May I suggest also that you look seriously at units with built-in hard drives. These will significantly increase your flexibility with your videos, allowing you to edit, create chapters and menus on the dvds without transferring the videos to your computer. You could also use them to create multiple dvd copies.

I hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If compatibility is important, I would probably not use a Lite-On or the popular Polaroid 2001G. These recorders only record in dvd+VR mode which is not quite as compatible as dvd-video mode. The 2001G records audio in mpeg1, layer2 which does not comply with the US dvd standard but is in compliance with the European dvd standard. I once put a 2001G recording in a JVC M10S and no audio came out but I had to return the unit before I could definitely determine if the M10S could not play mpeg1, layer 2 audio.

Marvingj has a good list. All these brands can record in dvd-video mode. If you want the menu to appear before play, narrows the list down a bit. The Panasonics allow play starting with the menu but my Pioneer 531 does not. I have tested the JVC M10S but I do not recall if it starts with the menu or not and I have not tested the Toshiba or LG.

[edit] If you like the JVC, I would go with the newer M100S. I have repaired two M10S's for the loading bug. U.S. NTSC M10S's have two parts in the power supply running at 94 degrees C which tends to cause premature power supply problems which bring on the loading bug. This does not apply to any other JVC recorder including M10's made for Europe.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you want maximum compatibility with DVD +R media, get one that records +R media to DVD-ROM booktype. I think I saw 1 post that said Panasonic recorders did that, but you may want to check specs to be sure before choosing.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are Philips a top tier brand in this department?
    Quote Quote  
  7. whatever you buy stay away from Philips .pure garbage maker.

check bestbuy they have few DVD recorders on sale .

Toshiba Progressive-Scan DVD-R/-RW Recorder Model: D-RW2 $129

LG Model DR1F9H

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=719363

Insignia Progressive-Scan DVD Recorder Model: NS-DVDR1 ( made by LG Electronics) $110
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=683566

Lite-On DD-A100(GX) $94 must use DVD R/RW+

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7944674&type=product&productCategoryId=p...=1152228787065

since you are going to make copies of the DVD using your PC , compatibility isn't ganna be an issue JUST be sure to use good quality media like Verbatim,and Taiyo Yuden
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by mgy999a
    Now, for my 2 cents on the subject of which recorder is best:

JVC has indeed made some good dvd recorders and many of the members of this forum swear by them (I own a DR-M10, which I like very much). However, JVC is apparently getting out of the business. Their website lists only 2 models right now: one is a combo unit with a built-in VCR and the other one has a list price over $1300.
    Pioneer is also out of the DVD recorder game .I think every new Pioneer recorder you see is made by Panasonic
    Quote Quote