VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Complete noob here.

I have a Sony A6400 that I using for 4k video. It has the stock 16-50mm lens and to the best of my knowledge, all of the settings are default.

My problem is I'm getting these blurry arcs while shooting. Today I saw them while filming a solar panel, but more annoyingly, they're showing up on my T-shirt -- which is extremely distracting.

Can anyone tell me what's happening?Image
    [Attachment 54904 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Thanks for the response.

Now that I know what it's called, is there a lens that you can use to fix it?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by bnther View Post
    Thanks for the response.

Usually not;

moire has less to do with the lens, more to do with the sensor and certain patterns

Sometimes you can get an external OLPF (optical low pass filter), but that just blurs the image . Moire occurs with all cameras, even very expensive ones. Cameras that are prone to moire patterns tend to have a weak or non existent OLPF
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by bnther View Post
    Thanks for the response.

Usually not;

moire has less to do with the lens, more to do with the sensor and certain patterns

Sometimes you can get an external OLPF (optical low pass filter), but that just blurs the image . Moire occurs with all cameras, even very expensive ones. Cameras that are prone to moire patterns tend to have a weak or non existent OLPF

Got it.

Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  5. In this case you have to get farther from the subject matter so that the size of the pattern is too small to be seen, or closer so that the details are large enough to be fully resolved.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    In this case you have to get farther from the subject matter so that the size of the pattern is too small to be seen, or closer so that the details are large enough to be fully resolved.
    That'll be tricky when it comes to comes to Youtube as you have to be relatively close to the camera. I think I'll just have to wear something over the T-shirt as I'm getting the same affect from the weave in my shirts.

Thanks for the input
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by bnther View Post
    I think I'll just have to wear something over the T-shirt as I'm getting the same affect from the weave in my shirts.
    Yes, in a case like that you can can just wear something different. For video that's already been shot you can blur it away. There are lots of tutorials about it on Youtube.
    Quote Quote