VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Someone please explain why this isn't working.

Context: I have a ton of anime MKV files on my PC. They are all set to Japanese as the audio and English as the subtitles. I know this because I set it for every single one. Any video player I've tried (I use VLC) knows to do Japanese audio and English subtitles.

I've been using Kodi thusly: I share the folder on my PC that has all the anime and map a network drive on my media PC. Then I point Kodi to that share and everything works. Thing is, I don't like Kodi. It's klunky. And I don't want to have a share on my PC.

So I've been trying a bunch of media servers (Plex, Streamio, Emby, OSMC, Media Portal, Mezzmo, etc). I have the server software on my PC and I access it from the media PC. Bit it's the same with all of them. They ignore the MKV subtitle info and don't display any subtitles. I've been through a butt ton of FAQs and WIKIs and various other help for these apps, but nothing I've tried has worked. Really, I've been working on this for four days.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's even possible to do what I want. I mean, even the simplest video player knows to use the MKV language/subtitle defaults. How is it even possible that these server apps don't do it? You'd almost have to go out of your way to make that NOT work.

Clearly I am not understanding how media/video sharing works. Someone please explain to me why this hasn't been working. And why this just doesn't work by default like it does with just about any video player on the planet?

I'm so confused.

Thanks.
    ::: Xylem Flow
    ::: It's better to have loved and lost than to never have had a good pair of speakers.
    Quote Quote  
  2. My media server requires the mkv/mp4 file and the subtitle file to have the exact same name. Have you done or tried that?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by MindController View Post
    My media server requires the mkv/mp4 file and the subtitle file to have the exact same name. Have you done or tried that?
    The subtitles are internal. And all of my files are MKV.
    ::: It's better to have loved and lost than to never have had a good pair of speakers.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try universal media server,it plays mkv with imbedded as well as separate subtitles.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Try universal media server,it plays mkv with imbedded as well as separate subtitles.
    Alas, I did.

The development of the day is that I sort of got this working with Plex. It's a work in progress.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Xylem Flow View Post
    Someone please explain why this isn't working.

Context: I have a ton of anime MKV files on my PC. They are all set to Japanese as the audio and English as the subtitles. I know this because I set it for every single one. Any video player I've tried (I use VLC) knows to do Japanese audio and English subtitles.

I've been using Kodi thusly: I share the folder on my PC that has all the anime and map a network drive on my media PC. Then I point Kodi to that share and everything works. Thing is, I don't like Kodi. It's klunky. And I don't want to have a share on my PC.
    KODI is the BEST!

All others do TRANSCODING... what's the point?

KODI does not transcode, and it has SUB over DLNA implementation on several brands / TV models.

I use KODI DLNA with working SRT subtitles streaming to a PANASONIC TV.

My only problem is: i don't know what brands / tv models are suportted by KODI!

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=327202
    https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=126521
    Quote Quote