VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have many videos that contain closed captioning. I am trying to digitize these while preserving the closed captioning. I do not want them converted to subtitles. I use a TV guardian which is inserted between a video device and television. It decodes the closed captioning and filters the language based on settings I set up. Is there any way to convert video to mp4 (or some other format) and then be able to play it back from pc, through the Guardian and have the closed captioning data available? The guardian uses an analog rca interface in case it matters.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by paulkc View Post
    I have many videos that contain closed captioning. I am trying to digitize these while preserving the closed captioning. I do not want them converted to subtitles. I use a TV guardian which is inserted between a video device and television. It decodes the closed captioning and filters the language based on settings I set up. Is there any way to convert video to mp4 (or some other format) and then be able to play it back from pc, through the Guardian and have the closed captioning data available? The guardian uses an analog rca interface in case it matters.
    Are these videos currently on tape, or what?

The TV guardian won't work if you are playing video using a PC. PC video connections can't provide closed caption data. You would need to play the videos with a hardware media player that has composite video out instead to have the right connection available. However, I don't know if any media players strip the part of the signal containing closed captions like some DVD players do.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 5th Jul 2015 at 11:09.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's what I was afraid of. I was hoping there was a way to transmit the cc data from a sound card but was afraid it wouldn't happen.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Along that line, I have considered dubbing it over after passing it through the Guardian but then I have to deal with copy protection issues. All I'm trying to do is store movies I already own on a media center to eliminate the need for using the actual disks/tapes. If anyone has any thoughts I'd like to hear them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    i dont know really but maybe you can convert to subtitles, and make up them like a closed captions, with some subtitle editor

you can also record them with one hvr 1600 or hvr 2250 cards of hauppagge , they can capture closed captions, via composite.
    they give to you a .ts file that you can transcode to mp4 but files can be big.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by godai View Post
    you can also record them with one hvr 1600 or hvr 2250 cards of hauppagge , they can capture closed captions, via composite.
    How do you propose that he does that? WinTV 7 and WinTV 8 can display closed captions from analog input connections, but don't record them.

I have an HVR 2250 which I have used with Windows Media Center. WMC can record analog closed captions from the HVR 2250's analog connections, but they aren't stored in the WTV file's MPEG-2 video stream the way some other capture devices provide them. They are stored in their own separate stream, and would have to be converted to subtitles. Setting up Widows Media Center for tape capture is possible, but it requires installing an IR receiver/IR blaster and a remote plus setting up WMC to record from a cable box. Most of those to whom I have suggested this method don't like the idea.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 6th Jul 2015 at 02:25.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It sounds like it's all a moot point anyway. Based on the earlier post by usually quiet, a pc cannot output a cc data stream for the TV guardian to read. I can get cc data converted to subtitles using Handbrake but that doesn't help me output it to the TV guardian.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It sounds like it's all a moot point anyway. Based on the earlier post by usually quiet, a pc cannot output a cc data stream for the TV guardian to read. I can get cc data converted to subtitles using Handbrake but that doesn't help me output it to the TV guardian.
    True, converting to subtitles doesn't allow you to censor the language the in your video using a TV guardian.

Analog closed captions are not used as much because HD video connections don't support the technology. Except for over-the-air broadcast TV (where the TV is also the decoding device), the responsibility for displaying closed captions has moved from TVs to whatever device decodes the digital video.

Since changes in the way we watch video has made your language filter obsolete, you will need to censor your videos manually, or be very selective about what you watch.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    How do you propose that he does that? WinTV 7 and WinTV 8 can display closed captions from analog input connections, but don't record them.

I have an HVR 2250 which I have used with Windows Media Center. WMC can record analog closed captions from the HVR 2250's analog connections, but they aren't stored in the WTV file's MPEG-2 video stream the way some other capture devices provide them. They are stored in their own separate stream, and would have to be converted to subtitles. Setting up Widows Media Center for tape capture is possible, but it requires installing an IR receiver/IR blaster and a remote plus setting up WMC to record from a cable box. Most of those to whom I have suggested this method don't like the idea.
    wintv7 -wintv 8 cant record it? are you sure?

i attach one record of hvr 1600 with them.

you can see them with vlc.

you check help site of tv guardian already? why not contact them

http://www.tvguardian.com/TVGuardian_Frequently_Asked_Qu/tvguardian_frequently_asked_q...l#.VaF0D0aEcSc
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by godai; 11th Jul 2015 at 15:55.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM

wintv7 -wintv 8 cant record it? are you sure?

i attach one record of hvr 1600 with them.

you can see them with vlc.
    Yes I am sure it is true for the WinTV-HVR 2250. I captured programming that I knew included closed captions via composite with WinTV 7 and WinTV8 before I wrote that reply. The recordings had no closed captions when played with VLC.

Windows Media Center displayed CCs for the same TV program using the digital tuner. Since I can also capture closed captions using my ATI TV Wonder HD 600 USB's analog composite connection, it wasn't the set-top box I was using.

[Edit]I just tried WinTV 8 on the recording I made. It looks like the closed captions are present, but only WinTV can display them. CCExtractor 0.77 doesn't find them, nor can MediaInfo, nor can VLC.

It is all moot anyway, since the OP can't get closed captions in the signal from any common PC video connection.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 11th Jul 2015 at 17:43.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    hvr 2250 capture too , but only way to display - extract them , its using c.c extractor, you get a .srt file
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hvr 2250 capture too , but only way to display - extract them , its using c.c extractor, you get a .srt file
    The only thing that can use the closed captions in my WinTV recordings made from a composite source is WinTV.

The latest version of CCExtractor (downloaded from Source Forge today) did not find any closed captions in my recordings made with WinTV. This latest version of CCExtractor does find closed captions in other files that have them, so it appears WinTV stores them differently.

In any case, a .srt file won't help the OP with his TV Guardian problem.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It doesn't matter if I can record the cc data if there is not a way to output it from the pc. Based on earlier posts, a pc cannot ouput the cc data so there is no way to send it to the Guardian for processing.

I have used this for years with dvds and was just hoping to transfer the collection to Media pc and still be able to send cc Data to guardian. I guess it's just not possible.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The only thing that can use the closed captions in my WinTV recordings made from a composite source is WinTV.

The latest version of CCExtractor (downloaded from Source Forge today) did not find any closed captions in my recordings made with WinTV. This latest version of CCExtractor does find closed captions in other files that have them, so it appears WinTV stores them differently.

In any case, a .srt file won't help the OP with his TV Guardian problem.

you need mark a option for hauppauge cards :
    advanced input options >file was caputre with a hauppage card.

It doesn't matter if I can record the cc data if there is not a way to output it from the pc. Based on earlier posts, a pc cannot ouput the cc data so there is no way to send it to the Guardian for processing.

I have used this for years with dvds and was just hoping to transfer the collection to Media pc and still be able to send cc Data to guardian. I guess it's just not possible.

your best shot its send email to guardian developers, but yeah not solution available in this case.
    Quote Quote