VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Let me just start by saying that everything was working fine two days ago.

I have the HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition. For the last couple of days any time I record anything into the PVR, as I’m recording it seems the video and audio stutter. They don’t fully freeze but they just kind of stutter and then resume and then repeat the process throughout the recording process. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong? I’ve tried plugging it into different USB ports in the back of my computer. I would very much like to get a clean recording. It’s rather urgent. I do a lot of recording using it.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The stuttering is a common occurrence after recently installing a new Software program that includes new DLL components that have to be registered with the operating system.

This is why it is good to make System Restore points "before" installing new Software.

Software installation is a very inconsistent unreliable process. The software writers are on a deadline and buy or borrow software installers, which do not do their job very well. Some will trigger a System Restore point before installing, but that slows down the process of installing and people and software developers are impatient.

Windows also takes automatic "System Restore" snapshots at various times.

If you have any its best to 1. Uninstall any recent software you can recall and 2. See if you have a 'System Restore' available to rollback the entire operating system to (Purge) for sure any recent changes made by poorly written software.

Most times (100% ?) this will fix your problem.

But the new software you want to install again may cause the problem again, so that is why its best to have a separate PC to run just the Capture software, you can Never try installing that new software again.

It can be what seems very unrelated Software, many included rollup updates like the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime updates.. which tends to break a lot of things and always slows things down. Updates are the Absolute 'enemy' of Stability and Reliability.. you really cannot trust or rely upon Updates to make things better.. they are diametrically designed to Slow down, and Break things.. to prevent hackers from finding a useful PC.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The best way to "Prevent" Software Update problems. Is from a New PC, install what you need, make sure its working correctly, and then take a full system backup.

That means the entire hard drive, or at least the boot from drive complete with boot loader and store it on a fast portable device, like a large SSD or USB/SSD drive which you can restore from to wipe out changes by other things that accumulate over time.

There are many backup programs, but one of the best in my opinion is Macrium Reflect, which has many features. It backs up the PC 'smartly' backing up only used parts of a partition and can compress it to save space. It can also let you (mount) or open the backup image to fetch single files or folders, and can override permissions to let you peer or view files in normally protected parts of the file system from the backup image. The paid for version can even let you restore to different PC machines with different hardware, even Virtual Machines.

People by nature, do not like to ('plan') for eventual failure.. or plan for bad software updates.. they are 'inevitable'.. they 100% always happen.

Having a (go back) or (go to) image to verify it is or, is not a Software update problem.. is critical.. to prevent wasting time working on the hardware, when its a software problem.

People want to grab something physical and blame hardware when there is a problem.. it rarely is the hardware (like near 0%).. the hardware almost always keeps working just fine. But getting their hands on a software problem is much much harder.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Emergency situations;

Often people will 'thrash' between working on a problem and meeting a deadline.

This is a very BAD environment in which to work on a problem, you often make things 'worse' and never achieve your goal.

The Best thing (to meet a deadline) is to find another PC (Never a new PC) .. similar to the first, and wipe it and install a fresh copy of the same operating system (Never an updated or different operating system) and simply go through installing the software you need to capture.

Your creating a dedicated Capture PC, so make manual System Restore points and frequent full system backups.. so you can rollback if you need too.

A person in a rush.. will probably try to jump to the end goal and do their project and consider options later.. this provokes the Universe and Bad Luck to mess you up.. but its a choice.

At the very least.. after the emergency.. the original PC has taken on its new life as a Quickbooks workstation.. or for whatever other software had to be installed.. that caused the original problem.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I hate to say this but I don’t understand any of this lol.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If windows updated itself since the device worked you could try uninstalling those updates and see if that fixes things. This is a common occurrence.

If you installed any other software since the device worked you could try uninstalling it and see if that helps.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by muusicman View Post
    I hate to say this but I don’t understand any of this lol.
    You ask Jwillis a question he writes a book, Yes his posts are lengthy for the impatient like me but he has knowledge about capture cards and drivers, He is the only one I know so far that made lossless capture over firewire using a MAC machine and AJA Io LA, which is impressive given the age of the hardware.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/393051-Capture-Analog-Video-Losslessly-Via-FireWire-%21%21/page2
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    I totally wiped and did a clean install using the thumb drive the PC manufacturer sent me when I ordered it in 2014… it came with windows 7. Before I reformatted everything I was using Windows 10 via a free upgrade Microsoft notified me with. It just all of a sudden popped up with an upgrade notification one day. After I reformatted and reinstalled 7 from the usb drive my PC manufacturer gave me I tried going to Microsoft’s page to upgrade again to Windows 10. Hasn’t acted right since. I’ve never upgraded any of the hardware or anything on it so maybe that’s the issue?? I don’t know. All I use the PC for is recording content using my Hauppauge HD PVR 2 and then editing recordings using my newly (last week) purchased CyberLink PowerDirector 20 video editing software. Both the PVR and the editing software is acting funny. Freezing audio and video while recording with the PVR and then my editor locks up when I start trying to edit a video. 🤷🏻*♂️ I need help or I’m gonna lose my mind! 🤪

By the way, my pc is a full size tower ordered and made custom by the company.
    by Origin PC in 2014. I’m thinking it should all still work smoothly… maybe I’m wrong???
    Quote Quote  
  9. Help me, I have the Hauppaugue HD PVR 2, I bought it recently in March 2022 and everything went well, I was able to capture whatever, but lately I'm having problems, recently my 1X2 Splitter broke a leg because my outlet was damaged I had stuck and the splitter power cable was already working, then I decided to simply get another power cable for the splitter and I got it, then I connected everything as usual, but suddenly the image no longer loaded on the television and less on my laptop, that everything was connected to the HDMI together with the Hauppaugue HD PVR 2, and on top of that it got hot, I mean, it was something that had never happened to me, I captured so many times, sometimes I touched the Hauppaugue and it didn't get hot like that, that was After 10 minutes nothing more, then later I began to worry that if something happened to my hauppaugue or it is the splitter, so later I tried to connect with the cable (A/V Adapter) and finally if it recognized it reappeared on the television and my laptop the images and sound, apparently it was the splitter I always think, but later I had no choice but to capture in that mode, but after 10 minutes, the hauppaugue began to turn color (ORANGE) and suddenly it went The TV image came back and on my laptop, it had scared me, so I unplugged it immediately, touched the hauppaugue and it was hot. Then I waited about 20 minutes, so I plugged everything back in the same way, but then even with the cable (A/V Adapter) it no longer recognized on the TV and neither on my laptop, now I'm worried that something has happened to my Hauppaugue HD PVR 2 that cost me dearly to buy it, I recognize that it is a very old product, for those who already have knowledge and are experts, please comment and help me to clear up any doubts, I would greatly appreciate it!
    Quote Quote