VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    is there a way to quickly extract subtitles from a dvd? Several software (for example SubRip) let you extract subtitles from the VOB file, but the process is very long because you have to correct each letter, number and symbol that the software doesn't recognize and, if the movie is long enough, it takes over an hour. It would be easier to transcribe the subtitles directly!
    I wonder if there are faster methods to extract subtitles. Do you have any ideas?
    Thank you in advance!
    Luca
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,
    You could use "Subtitle Edit v3.6.10".
    You can also use "MeGUI" to extract the "Sub/idx" files, and then use "Sub Extractor v1.0.3.2d" and convert to ".srt" extension.
    Hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Converting DVD subpictures to a text based format, such as srt, requires optical character recognition (OCR). There is no way around that. However, normally it should not take an hour to OCR a DVD. More like 5-10 minutes. Maybe Subtitle Edit works better for you.

Alternatively, you could keep the subtitles in binary format, such as sub/idx, which is done by just extracting them from the VOBs, and use that for playback.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Olá,
    Eu moro no "Brasil".
    I'll write in portuguese.
    Com esse aplicativo, talvez resolva o seu problema "Sub Extractor v1.0.3.2d".
    Basta extrair as legendas "Sub/idx" e converter com esse aplicativo.
    É rápido a conversão.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Skiller View Post
    Converting DVD subpictures to a text based format, such as srt, requires optical character recognition (OCR). There is no way around that. However, normally it should not take an hour to OCR a DVD. More like 5-10 minutes. Maybe Subtitle Edit works better for you..
    I gave up on trying to OCR subs because of the time and effort required for correction. Which I've found to be multiples of the conversion time.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I gave up ocr. Now and days I just burn them in to keep proper placement and spelling.i use bdsup2sub to adjust position and colors as needed. For ocr when needed I use subtitleedit as it works for me in Linux. Yes I mean burn as not selectable, but part of the image. Works for my case as every device on my server will have the subs exactly where I wanted
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote