VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all

I'm very new to encoding.But I want to learn how to mux.For instance I have vcds,how should I extract the .dat file without losing quality.And what should I do to make it a proper .mkv file with megui?It would really help if you could redirect me to a couple guides on how to do things?

thx.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Use VLC to remux directly from DAT to MKV. Use the Media -> Convert/Save option. Set the container to MKV, set the video and audio to Keep Original. The MPEG1 video and MP2 audio will be remuxed to MKV.

Actually, you may not even need to remux. Most players will play the .DAT file directly. Or by just renaming it to .MPG.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I used to use VCDGear or remuxing VCD .dat to .mpg.

@jagabo: telling someone, who wants to learn, that renaming a file extension is a valid move, on a OS which relies on those extensions, is just plain evil. Especially without any explanation.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  4. Here's an ffmpeg command line:

Code:
    ffmpeg -fflags +genpts -i input.dat -c copy output.mkv
    put this in a BAT file and you can drag/drop DAT (and other media) files on it to mux into MKV:

Code:
    ffmpeg -fflags +genpts -i %1 -c copy "%~dpnx1.mkv"
    Filename.dat will be remuxed to Filename.dat.mkv. Put that batch file in your Send To folder and you can right click on a DAT file and select Send To -> Name.BAT. Name.Bat is whatever you named the batch file.

Another program that can remux DAT to MKV is AviDemux. Open your source DAT, set Video and Audio to Copy, set Output Format to MKV Muxer, save.

By the way, I'm pretty sure Megui cannot remux DAT to MKV. Though it can probably reencode to MKV.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    J02-Next time you create a new thread please put in a more descriptive title rather than 'wanna learn',this time i changed it.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. You can also use clever FFmpeg-GUI for muxing vcd (dat) to avi, mkv, mp4, mpg, ts, vob.
    Quote Quote