1. They have free trials.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by canadateck
    They have free trials.
    right you are sorry.

have you tried this new method? seems much less involved than using vegas

wish that guy gave me some more detail...

when i look at a preview of the output file in tmpgenc, it looks pretty messed up, very fuzzy lots of lines and stuff. is this what it will actually look like?
    Quote Quote  
  3. what you want to do is rip the Video and Audio from the DVD, so you have 2 files Video and audio. as for the other guys way, I have never did it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what you want to do is rip the Video and Audio from the DVD, so you have 2 files Video and audio. as for the other guys way, I have never did it.
    when i tried to do that, i ended up with 4 files-3 video, and one audio using dvd decrypter as per what the other guy was instructing me on, but then he said it would be better to use the vob files, which is what i now have
    Quote Quote  
  5. In the settings click do not split files.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In the settings click do not split files.
    ok sorry i forgot there that alsyed told me to use the vob files in dvd2avi, which is what i am doing now. i should be fine until i have to use vegas, at which point i will post again. hopefully he wont forget he told me he would tell me what to do in vegas.

do you think the quality is going to suffer much from all of this?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I think if done right it will look ok, But there are many others things to acount for.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by bosco-12
    Originally Posted by TBoneit
    Sony Won't play PAL format DVDs no matter what region they are.

You'll always get that error message with PAL Disks. Sony NTSC DVD players only support region 1 DVDs that are also NTSC. The DVD Must meet both criteria, NTSC and Region 1 for a Sony to play it.

I just re-authored a PAL DVD from England to NTSC so it'll play on my Sony...
    1st step rip to HDD with DVDDecrypter
    2nd step Use TMPGenc Xpress3 to convert the PAL format with Ac3 audio to NTSC format with AC3 audio (using the AC3 plug-in).
    3rd step Author with, in this case, TMPGenc DVD Author w/AC3 plug-in to check audio sync, OK
    4th step Burn with Nero
    5th Step play and enjoy in my Sony DVD player(s)

or 1 step process, put into my Cheapo Apex patched to RegionFree and play PAL dvd to NTSC TV.

or Rip to HDD, Regionfree DVD and shrink, Burn and play in regionfree other Apex that isn't a regionfree player.

Or what the others said, region has no effect on format.

If youy do something like the first method, then don't shrink before converting to NTSC.

TMPGenc Xpress did a great job, Took 9 hours to convert on a 3Ghz P4 with more than 1 pass, autosized it to fit on one DVD too.

Cheers.
    none of those tmpgenc programs are free
    well;
    a. You get what you pay for
    b. the trial versions are here for all the above mentioned, if it's a one time thing well... so go here to http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/download/index.html
    c. throw hands up in the air and say it isn't worth the headache.

You have to recode the TMPGenc programs I mentioned do a real nice job with only a little learning curve.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by alsyed
    vfapiconven is the name i have on my program, but you need to search for VFAPI reader.
    when i go to open the d2v file, it says it is invalid. please help i was doing so well

could this have something to do with the error i get in dvd shrink 3.2 about the dvd having an invalid structure?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Sorry to interject.. Have you tried a simple IFOedit header trick? I've skimmed thru the thread and didn't find that you did.. It'll work like a charm on some DVD players, but not sure about your Sony. that's a heck of a lot of work for one DVD.. And you do know you won't be able to keep menus (if there are any)?

Rip the DVD to the hd using Decrypter or Smartripper v2.41. Use IfoEdit (you might need to use v.95). to remove the region code restriction (or change to R1) and change ALL PAL headers to NTSC headers in each .IFO file on the DVD. Make sure you SAVE each IFO after you change headers. Then burn and try playing. Again, this'll work like a charm on some DVD players and not so well on others..
    Quote Quote  
  11. BOSCO!!!

GET THIS STRAIGHT: REGION CODING DOES NOT EQUAL VIDEO FORMAT!!!

Examples:

- Europe uses REGION 2 coding and the PAL video format

- The United States uses REGION 1 coding and the NTSC video Format.

- Japan uses REGION 2 coding and the NTSC video format.

Get it? Good now see if you can follow along.

If your player cannot play the PAL video format then it doesn't matter what region the disc is anyway. Soooooooooooooooooo...either re-encode the video and re-author the DVD or buy a new dvd player that will play Region Free PAL discs.

Might I suggest the PHILIPS DVP642 it will play PAL (Properly I might add) and it can be converted to be region free itself (i.e. no need to remove region coding from the disc) with a simple remote hack of which you can find in the DVD Hacks tab to the left.
    <---------
    Look, let me explain something. I'm not Mr. Lebowski; you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That, or Duder. His Dudeness. Or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing--
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jbenj01
    Sorry to interject.. Have you tried a simple IFOedit header trick? I've skimmed thru the thread and didn't find that you did.. It'll work like a charm on some DVD players, but not sure about your Sony. that's a heck of a lot of work for one DVD.. And you do know you won't be able to keep menus (if there are any)?

Rip the DVD to the hd using Decrypter or Smartripper v2.41. Use IfoEdit (you might need to use v.95). to remove the region code restriction (or change to R1) and change ALL PAL headers to NTSC headers in each .IFO file on the DVD. Make sure you SAVE each IFO after you change headers. Then burn and try playing. Again, this'll work like a charm on some DVD players and not so well on others..
    i just tried the header trick...on my sony, i got green lines on the top and bottom-not watchable,but on a panasonic it worked fine, a little jerky but it worked. unfortunatly, the panasonic is not mine, so basically the header trick did not work for my dvd player. as far as i can see i did everything right, except set it to region free because when i do that ifoedit does not accept the changes i make for some reason
    Quote Quote