VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,first things first i am a noob and a old one at that. Could someone explain to me what is happening. I have a dvd with 5 episode's on and when played with the dvd player the are in 16:9. If i extract the episode's from the dvd and convert the vob's to mpeg's(TV does not like vob's) and put them on my nas drive they play on the TV in 4:3???. I checked the mpeg in mediainfo and it said 4:3. So why does the TV play the dvd in 16:9 and not mpeg

TIA
    Bill
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But do they really play as 16:9 from the dvd player ?

You appear to be describing a non-anamorphic dvd which is 16:9 in a 4:3 frame. So you should be getting letter-boxing bars top and bottom and pillar-boxing bars left and right.

Your tv (or the player) could well be zooming the image to hide these bars.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Or,
    You extracted them strangely, and they didn't just extract, but either lost their dar metadata/flags, or they were converted.

You said vobs->mpegs, but other than a few minor features, vobs ARE mpegs. Please, give more details on your process.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi thanks for the quick reply. The dvd is played in full screen so could be zoomed but why does'nt the mpeg play in full screen?
    TIA
    Bill
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wks View Post
    If i extract the episode's from the dvd and convert the vob's to mpeg's and put them on my nas drive they play on the TV in 4:3?
    Possibly the conversion didn’t preserve the aspect ratio. What tools and settings did you use? Do these tools have an aspect ration setting?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I used dvfab decrypter to extract the video ts folder then used vob2mpg to make one mpeg. The tv does not like vobs. I am trying to convert dvd episodes to mp4s to put on my nas drive.
    TIA
    Bill
    Quote Quote  
  7. The IFO files can override the aspect ratio that's flagged in the VOB files. So even in the MPEG 2 data in the VOB files is flagged as 4:3 the IFO file can force the DVD player to treat it as 16:9. It's also possible the MPEG2 data includes a Sequence Display Extension to indicate the 4:3 AR is contained in a 540x480/576 portion of the frame. When the DVD player sees that it knows the full 720x480/576 frame is 16:9. TVs and standalone media players often don't respond to the extension.

Restream can adjust the AR and the Sequence Display Extension to "fix" the AR.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by wks View Post
    If i extract the episode's from the dvd and convert the vob's to mpeg's(TV does not like vob's) and put them on my nas drive they play on the TV in 4:3???. I checked the mpeg in mediainfo and it said 4:3.
    Remux the mpeg with MkvToolNix setting the videotrack DAR to 16:9
    Quote Quote  
  9. A big thanks, managed to change the aspect ratio with MkvToolNix. I demuxed the video and then remuxed with MkvToolNix and had a sync issue so just put the whole video in MkvToolNix and remuxed and it worked. Another lesson learned thanks
    Bill
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by wks View Post
    A big thanks, managed to change the aspect ratio with MkvToolNix.
    Be aware that not all players will obey the MKV aspect ratio flag. Especially outside a computer (for example, the media player built into a TV or Blu-ray disc player).
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hi i checked it on the tv and it was ok. I am going to convert to mp4. Also found a button on the tv marked ASPECT lol
    Quote Quote